Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tweaked there 08 stock suspension yet? I only have 85 miles on mine so far and it's still sitting at the factory settings, it don't feel bad but I like to mess with suspension! the funny thing is I'm 215 lbs and it feels rather good stock:dontknow: where most bikes are too soft for me stock... anyone know what spring rates they used on the 08's?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I set my sag a few weeks ago, the front was already at 34mm with my weight so I didn't change it.

The rear was at 30mm so I changed it to 32mm. I weigh 192 in the shower just an fyi.

The '04 I think was set for a 145 pounder and that's what I expected this time around too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harsh, bumpy, flighty, er, horrible

Funny you should mention it, I've just taken delivery of an 08 ZX-10R and I can't believe how harsh the suspension is on the road. It amazes me that Kawasaki reckons the stock damping is good for the road. I'm hopping over bumps and bouncing out of the seat. It's got the worst standard road settings of any 1,000cc bike I have ever ridden.

I haven't been on track with the bike yet and I suspect it would feel fine there, but what's the point in that? How many ZX-10Rs spend their entire lives on track? What about the thousands who only ever ride them on the road?

I don't need more power, I need chassis mods...
....and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
KennyP.....Start with the sag.....You need to get that set before you go any further. Once that is set, then you can dial in the rest of the suspension.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I took mine to my suspension tuner....he set it all up for me...he sets up the race 10R for Kawi here....his comment - too much oil in the front forks (too stiff), and replace the rear shock with an Elka....

After adjusting my bike, major improvement....

·
Registered
7 Posts
KennyP.....Start with the sag.....You need to get that set before you go any further. Once that is set, then you can dial in the rest of the suspension.
Er...yes.

I was really trying to find out whether I was alone in finding the road ride too harsh in general; wondering whether the suspension on new Kawasakis needed to 'bed in' and loosen off a bit or whether my observations were more widely felt.

I don't believe in the existance of those mythical 'settings' that others appear keen to be handed down.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I know that on my 05, the way it was set at the dealership was way too stiff...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Funny you should mention it, I've just taken delivery of an 08 ZX-10R and I can't believe how harsh the suspension is on the road. It amazes me that Kawasaki reckons the stock damping is good for the road. I'm hopping over bumps and bouncing out of the seat. It's got the worst standard road settings of any 1,000cc bike I have ever ridden.

I haven't been on track with the bike yet and I suspect it would feel fine there, but what's the point in that? How many ZX-10Rs spend their entire lives on track? What about the thousands who only ever ride them on the road?

I don't need more power, I need chassis mods...
....and suggestions.
well it is adjustable in case you haven't heard so adjust it for pity sakes man!!!!!!! not everyone weighs the same not everyone rides the same so set it up for you!

BD

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
well it is adjustable in case you haven't heard so adjust it for pity sakes man!!!!!!! not everyone weighs the same not everyone rides the same so set it up for you!

BD
:+1:

·
Registered
346 Posts
What i have done in the past is get the suggested suspension settings from sportrider magazine and use that as a starting point. I had good results doing that. I am going to tweak mine today or tomorrow. Years ago i was not comfortable doing any adjustments, but after playing around with it, you'll find it is not as complex as it is thought to be some times. I would definetly not trust the settings that they delivered the bike to you with, I heard sometimes dealer settings are not right. at the very least set it to what your manual states.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I took mine to my suspension tuner....he set it all up for me...he sets up the race 10R for Kawi here....his comment - too much oil in the front forks (too stiff), and replace the rear shock with an Elka....

After adjusting my bike, major improvement....
ElKA is NOT making a shock for the 08 yet bc they only sold 4 shocks for the 06/07 zx-10r and they dont plan to make one unless the zx-10r starts getting raced at a privateer level... So i ordered a TTX :(

·
11,176 Posts
Er...yes.

I was really trying to find out whether I was alone in finding the road ride too harsh in general; wondering whether the suspension on new Kawasakis needed to 'bed in' and loosen off a bit or whether my observations were more widely felt.

I don't believe in the existance of those mythical 'settings' that others appear keen to be handed down.
What 'mythical settings' are you talking about? What have you done so far?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What 'mythical settings' are you talking about? What have you done so far?
Those mythical settings are the ones required by guys who say, 'Gee, I weigh 195 pounds, what are the settings for an 08 ZX-10'. Those mythical settings that suit all guys who weigh 195 pounds, in spite of the fact that they have different riding styles, run different tyres, different requirements, ride at different pace and so on. I don't believe in the 'one size fits all' approach to suspension.

My original question was: is it just me or is there a general concensus on this forum that the 2008 ZX-10R in stock settings is harsh when ridden on the road?

·
11,176 Posts
I didn't leave mine at the factory settings for long enough to really tell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't leave mine at the factory settings for long enough to really tell.

So you changed your suspension without being able to tell what it was like in the first place? So how did you know it needed changed? Am I missing the point?

Sorry....I'm new here and more than a tad confused!

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ElKA is NOT making a shock for the 08 yet bc they only sold 4 shocks for the 06/07 zx-10r and they dont plan to make one unless the zx-10r starts getting raced at a privateer level... So i ordered a TTX :(
you do know a shock is a shock right? you can have a shock manufacture or a suspension tech adjust the eye to eye to make it work on any bike?

·
Registered
237 Posts
you do know a shock is a shock right? you can have a shock manufacture or a suspension tech adjust the eye to eye to make it work on any bike?
Yeah but the valving is different depending on your weight and that number doesn't even matter if the shock is moved father forward in the swingarm or back bc it changes every thing.. and Elka works directly with you unlike Ohlins and Penski

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but the valving is different depending on your weight and that number doesn't even matter if the shock is moved father forward in the swingarm or back bc it changes every thing.. and Elka works directly with you unlike Ohlins and Penski
you can change valving as well!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So you changed your suspension without being able to tell what it was like in the first place? So how did you know it needed changed? Am I missing the point?

Sorry....I'm new here and more than a tad confused![/QUOTE

If the sag is not right you know the suspension is not right you do not have to ride it to tell that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts