Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to get my Gen 4 shock re-valved and am trying to shop around for a good price and competent re-builder. Below is who I have tried to contact so far, all seem to be good, but was wondering if anyone has any other places in the U.S. that they know about that are good, especially if they have knowledge about the Gen 4 ZX-10R shock in particular. Bonus points if they are near Nashville, TN...but I'm not holding my breath. Got to get the rebound issues fixed with this shock. My last race had me bouncing around everywhere, especially with the stiffer spring I have on it.

Vendors I've found so far:
RG3 Suspension (only local dealer I've found) ([email protected] )
Traxxion Dynamics ([email protected])
Race Tech ([email protected])
Catalyst Reaction ([email protected])
CTR Suspension (Filled out web-form for contact)

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Trackside Suspension Engineering are good guys

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
BMC RACING, 626-327-8556 WITH THE HELP OF THEM IM 1.40s best 1.37:thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
A member on here named Tampazx used these guys. From the thread that he started he seemed pretty happy with the results.

http://www.suspensiontechnologies.com/index.htm

Here is Tampazx's thread

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115526

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Heard back from a few of the vendors. I don't want to give away everyone's quotes because they're usually specific to certain applications and are subject to change.

But I will say that I'm leaning towards Traxxion Dynamics now. For the best price out of anyone, they will re-build, re-valve, and testing it on a shock dyno. I've also heard nothing but great things about Traxxion. They are also only a few hours away so the shipping time will be minimal. I'm not seeing any reason to not go with them. Still waiting on a few replies though. Got till Monday to make a decision. Then I need to get it in the works. The Road Atlanta race is coming up in a few weeks and I would like to have the suspension working for me instead of against me. :mrgreen:

At least the forks on the Gen 4 are awesome!!! I don't see myself ever doing anything with them other than oil changes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also hes not just someone who works on suspension he TRULY understands it and when I spoke with him at the track he made me feel very confident in him working on my forks from the knowledge he was sharing with me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my shock back from Traxxion. They revalved/rebuilt the shock, put fresh Silkolene 5W oil in it, and ran it on their shock dyno. They included the graph with the shock in the box. I didn't ask for it, but they also touched up the paint on the shock spring where the idiots at my local dealership mounted the spring to the shock and marred it up with a quality level similar to what I imagine a couple of chimpanzees doing it could do. So that was very nice of them. Looking at the Dyno, the stock shock actually looks pretty good with the modifications made. I think I'm going to be very glad I didn't dump the money on the aftermarket shock bling.

I have a race coming up in a couple weeks at Road Atlanta, so I'll post up my feelings of the new shock, but from just bouncing it on the stand, it's definitely got more rebound dampening now. Hopefully this will cure my bouncing problem accelerating out of the turns.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got back from my race weekend at Road Atlanta and wanted to give a follow-up on my experiences with the shock.

I started the weekend with an old pair of BT-003 DOT race tires and had some issues sliding the rear around, couldn't get a good drive through the esses. But hey, they were old and just for practice. I mounted up a new set of Bridgestone slicks for the first race. My first lap through the esses, I pushed a bit harder than usual and found the rear to just squat a little and hold. HUGE IMPROVEMENT! Subsequent laps I was able to push more and more until I was running out of track. I dropped 3 seconds from my best lap times in the first race and won that class. The next race I pushed even harder, dropping another second, and finishing for another win. The last race I pushed even more, but started having problems with the front end. Ran the last turn wide on the second lap with cost me a couple seconds. That combined with a couple missed shifts made me give up the win for second place. All in all, a good weekend with a 4 second improvement total over my previous best, and I was doing those times consistently too, not just 1 random fast lap.

So, my overall impressions/summary. The rear isn't perfect, but MUCH MUCH better. I never once pogo'd out of the corners like I did with the stock shock valving. I doubt I'll be investing in an aftermarket shock anytime soon, it's that good now. However, once the rear was sorted out, I've found the forks lacking. So, those will be next to get a re-work. I'll probably try out the race-tech valves. If you race your Gen 4 or even track days at an Advanced pace, I would highly recommend sending your shock to get re-valved. It will be a much better bang for your buck than almost any other mod on the bike. For street, I don't think it's necessary. I would just spring it for your weight. You REALLY have to push the bike to find the limits of the stock shock. A pace I wouldn't even begin to try on DOT tires.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why the Race Tech valves over the Andreani kit or just getting the stock shims/oil changed like you did with the rear?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why the Race Tech valves over the Andreani kit or just getting the stock shims/oil changed like you did with the rear?
Full kit is out of my budget, and a bit past my needs I think. They usually offer more adjustability, but that also means that I can adjust it even more wrong. The Race Tech valves aren't that expensive and are advertised to help "decreasing braking chatter", which is the part I noticed braking into turn 12 at Road Atlanta (steep down hill braking area) that caused me to miss my turn in point. I'm not committed to buying them yet, as I want to do more research than just reading their marketing material. However, if they really do what they say they do, then that sounds like what I need and the price is right :thumbsup:

Anyway about it, the bike will be getting fresh fork oil over the off-season. It's just a matter of do I spend a couple hundred extra on the piston kit or not. I'd love to hear people's experience with the various options.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Got back from my race weekend at Road Atlanta and wanted to give a follow-up on my experiences with the shock.

If you race your Gen 4 or even track days at an Advanced pace, I would highly recommend sending your shock to get re-valved. It will be a much better bang for your buck than almost any other mod on the bike. For street, I don't think it's necessary. I would just spring it for your weight. You REALLY have to push the bike to find the limits of the stock shock. A pace I wouldn't even begin to try on DOT tires.
Congrats on the wins and the fix.

Quick question. I'm looking for some confirmation on what I'm feeling from the bike. I've been running track days at a mid A pace. My rear is completely stock spring and valves, but I had it dialed in at the track.

On the drive out of a corner i feel the rear squat, and at worst it's like if I'm sitting in my chair typing and I move my hips in a circle. I'm not able to get on the throttle as early as i'd like because I end up pushing wide.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the wins and the fix.

Quick question. I'm looking for some confirmation on what I'm feeling from the bike. I've been running track days at a mid A pace. My rear is completely stock spring and valves, but I had it dialed in at the track.

On the drive out of a corner i feel the rear squat, and at worst it's like if I'm sitting in my chair typing and I move my hips in a circle. I'm not able to get on the throttle as early as i'd like because I end up pushing wide.
The stock spring is VERY weak. Unless you're 150 lbs, you'll probably need an upgraded spring. The problem there becomes that the stock dampening won't be able to keep up with the stronger spring that you need. If you don't have the funds for upgrading/modifying the shock, you can try increasing the compression on the shock to see if that helps dampen the squating. But again, you'll probably find that by increasing the compression, the rebound can't keep up. The very best solution of course is to invest in an aftermarket shock, but if that is out of the question ($1200-$1600 + you'll probably need it re-sprung and the valves shimmed anyways), then look into sending your shock to someone like Traxxion or Race-Tech to get a new spring and to fix the dampening (~$400). They'll also put some better oil in the shock. Personally, I don't think most people need the aftermarket shock bling. I beat plenty of people this weekend on my stock modified suspension who had full Ohlins suspensions...just saying.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
The stock spring is VERY weak. Unless you're 150 lbs, you'll probably need an upgraded spring. The problem there becomes that the stock dampening won't be able to keep up with the stronger spring that you need. If you don't have the funds for upgrading/modifying the shock, you can try increasing the compression on the shock to see if that helps dampen the squating. But again, you'll probably find that by increasing the compression, the rebound can't keep up. The very best solution of course is to invest in an aftermarket shock, but if that is out of the question ($1200-$1600 + you'll probably need it re-sprung and the valves shimmed anyways), then look into sending your shock to someone like Traxxion or Race-Tech to get a new spring and to fix the dampening (~$400). They'll also put some better oil in the shock. Personally, I don't think most people need the aftermarket shock bling. I beat plenty of people this weekend on my stock modified suspension who had full Ohlins suspensions...just saying.
Thanks, I'm headed the respring, revalve the stock route :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for this write up. I have put this upgrade off for to long. Shipping my shock to Traxxion Monday.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Traxxion just called and said they are shipping the shock back. Doing a track weekend at Talladega Grand Prix to check the results.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Congrats on the wins.

I've been saying the same thing for years and completely agree. I'd love the after market bling, but can't afford the initial 1500-2k hit.

I've began to run into the fork limitation seldomly as well, but then again I don't track it as often as I'd like. OEM forks are quite good and will suit even a novice racer, but the shock is shit as OEM (pretty damn good setup properly though). If you're planning to get serious lap times go all in on the forks. But then the shock will become and issue for you once again as the forks did after your shock work.

It pays to have your priorities setup before sorting the suspension out. If you know you're going to push the shit out of her.. TTX shock until you need fork inserts or a complete set if you're ballin' :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts