Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a bunch of searches and read a bunch of stuff. I think that based on the advice of racer friends and Troy at GP Suspensions, I would be better off with rebuilt stuff for now since I plan on having fun and not racing/chasing records.

Anyone have any experience with them? I aw their name pop up several times but no comments about work being done by them. :dontknow:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I look at it like this: guys will go and spend 1000 on a new exhaust 500 on a PCIII all of which will not make you a faster rider or help keep you upright when you are trying to become one! so why not put the $$ where it will do the most good... Suspension!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look at it like this: guys will go and spend 1000 on a new exhaust 500 on a PCIII all of which will not make you a faster rider or help keep you upright when you are trying to become one! so why not put the $$ where it will do the most good... Suspension!
The majority vote ruled this decision. The track guys I have ridden with said I wasn't fast enough to fully use Ohlins/Penske/Elka yet. Having it would be great but I'll wait until maybe this time next year and revisit. I don't plan on racing even at an amatuer level. This is strictly for track days and I'll do one a month at most.

I do see where you are coming from tho... Thing is, "fast" means different things depending on who you talk to. In major metro areas, fast is normally top speed/straight line/highway fast. :lol: Been there, done that. :screwy:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The majority vote ruled this decision. The track guys I have ridden with said I wasn't fast enough to fully use Ohlins/Penske/Elka yet. Having it would be great but I'll wait until maybe this time next year and revisit. I don't plan on racing even at an amatuer level. This is strictly for track days and I'll do one a month at most.
I fully agree on the rebuilt front end vs. say a 25mm cart kit, but a shock is not a bad idea if you have the money for it. A built (for you) Penske double clicker can be had for like $700. The Penske is a very flexable platform that can be upgraded, rebuilt, revalved, ect. for a few bucks more as you get faster. Plus you get ride hight adjustment.
My two cents, as getting the stock shock rebuilt will cost around $250-300ish and it's still a stock shock.
Ps. I have an Elka and would not buy one again!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any reviews on GPSuspenions???

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had GP do my forks on my ZRX with ohlins in the back.. I know she was a tubby beast but I had a 1224 kit in it and it hauled the mail.. But I did the suspension first with GP out front and the job they did was great.. It handled great... I like GP.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the shock and had my first decent ride today. Wow! I now know what you guys mean about getting the suspension done. My test road felt like someone had gone over it with a steam roller because I didn't feel half the bumps I used to. Or should I say that it felt more in control and so the bumps didn't transfer to the bike as much.

Didn't get to really push it because LEO were everywhere. Can't wait to get the front done!

ZX10Racer, you were right... :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Installed the shock and had my first decent ride today. Wow! I now know what you guys mean about getting the suspension done. My test road felt like someone had gone over it with a steam roller because I didn't feel half the bumps I used to. Or should I say that it felt more in control and so the bumps didn't transfer to the bike as much.

Didn't get to really push it because LEO were everywhere. Can't wait to get the front done!

ZX10Racer, you were right... :thumbsup:

glad you like it man! what did they end up doing a re-valve and spring? :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glad you like it man! what did they end up doing a re-valve and spring? :eek:ccasion1
"I HAVE COMPLETLY DISASSEMBLE THE SHOCK CLEANED, INSPECTED AND REPLACED THE SHAFT SEAL AND DUST WIPER. I THEN REPLACE THE FACTORY PISTON WITH A NEW 1/3 LIGHTER THEN FACTORY HIGH FLOW LESS FRICTION PISTON. I ALSO REPLACE THE FACTORY SHIM STACK ON BOTH THE COMPRESSION AND REBOUND SIDE WITH STIFFER SHIMS. TO TOP IT OFF I REPLACE THE RESIVOR CAP WITH A SCHRADER VALVE CAP SO YOU CAN CHECK IT FOR PRESSURE AND MAKES IT MAKES IT A HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO SERVICE. FINNALY I REPLACE THE ONE SIZE FITS ALL PROGRESSIVE FACTORY SPRING WITH A NEW EIBACH STRAIGHT RATE SPRING"

That's all that was done to it. Actually found it on ebay... Was skeptical at first which is why I started this thread. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS

Any 04-05 owners looking for a rebuilt rear shock? I am sending in my stock one to be rebuilt so if you want it after it done, let me know and I'll pass the word along.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much??
It'll most likely be 300 or less. I sent him a message asking if he could do the swap and return deal that I got and am waiting to hear back. Basically, I bought a shock from him, installed it, and am sending my stock one back to be rebuilt. Zero downtime!:cool:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much??
Even better, he said he can do it for $250/shipped with exchange of your stock shock. I'm sending mine to him tomorrow but he is out of the office for a few days so it will probably be a week or so before its ready.

Let me know if you are still interested. Anyone else???:eek:ccasion1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts