Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
It can mean a number of different things. Do you have a pic of it? It can be normal wear from hard riding, due to heat, cold tearing, or improper suspension setup.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It can mean a number of different things. Do you have a pic of it? It can be normal wear from hard riding, due to heat, cold tearing, or improper suspension setup.
Different Guy, but what do you think of this ?

This was after my first two days at Tanacross alaska. The front was fine, I think, the rear started drifting all over during my timed runs last thing yesterday.

Ohlins TTX Shock, BTW....Felt like floating on air, but shredded the freaking meat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That wear on that pic is normal for a street tire when riding hard. What you see is from acceleration at lean angle. Nothing to worry about. But different patterns of wear are signs of setup issues. Next time it gets hot and and begins to slide, stop and take out a 1/2 lb. of air and see if that helps. It will reduce the heat in the rear and hook up better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Crap I didn't think to check the pressure when it was hot. it was 27 psi cold.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You're welcome. Always start at your normal or recommended pressure cold. Then adjust after its hot. That way you can keep track of the changes you make and find the sweet range for the riding and climate you are in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can't really tell much from the picture.

If you have a build up of material on the back side of the tread, that is a rebound issue.

If the front side of the tread is chopped off, that is a compression issue.

As far as tire pressure goes, always check hot. Ask the tire guy at the track what you should run.

·
Registered
302 Posts
2 days and you still have tire left. SWEET tires good man. after every session you need to clean the extra rubber off the tire. if the track gets hot the oil from the track makes your rear wheel feel like your driffting and some peeps can use it to ther advantage.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ask the tire guy at the track what you should run.
I appreciate the help, but thought this was funny as hell.

If you saw our "track" you'd understand why. 3.5 miles of runways full of 6" wide, 3" deep cracks filled with volleyball sized clumps of grass. The "Tire guy" is named cooter and he drives a rusty red pickup...Lives in the mobile home down dirt road past last weeks bear killed caribou carcass.

You ride fast here, and you've really accomplished something !

:eek:ccasion1

Reactions: ZX10Rracer

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
That wear on that pic is normal for a street tire when riding hard. What you see is from acceleration at lean angle. Nothing to worry about. But different patterns of wear are signs of setup issues. Next time it gets hot and and begins to slide, stop and take out a 1/2 lb. of air and see if that helps. It will reduce the heat in the rear and hook up better.

Try adding PSI to reduce heat!,...... taking air out will increases heat

·
Registered
272 Posts
Try adding PSI to reduce heat!,...... taking air out will increases heat
You're right about raising the pressure to reduce heat. however I checked the Michelin Power One website (very cool tire finder, check it out) and it recommends 1.5 bar or 21.7 PSI with my bike-tire-track. I was running 27 cold, so probably 35 hot, way too much.

http://www.michelinpowerone.com/

I think with a bigger contact patch I won't tear it up so quickly.

I already had another set of these for the next Tanacross run, so I hope they make it through the weekend for the timimg runs.

I can't get full slicks through my "sponsor", only tucker rocky and parts unlimited stock items, so I need to use these.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so.... i recall someone posting that a rebound problem could be cause for this type of wear along the edge.

anybody know??

·
Registered
858 Posts
Its a rebound problem not pressure. As far as tire pressures find the recommended pressure and stick with it. Then adjust the shock. The small waves in tires is cause by the tire rebounding to fast. Add a little bit of rebound to the rear. Tell me more?

Is the rear running wide on entry or exit?
How does the front track?
Is the front running wide on entry or exit?
Do you lose rear traction on entry or exit?

These are some basic questions you should ask or pay attention to because they can help lead to the solution. Problems with suspension usually have compound symptoms.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
runs wide on exit. the rear will lose traction if i really push it, i thought that was do to the nature of the tire (DC3) street/trackday.

so your sayin the rear may be rebounding to fast, add a some rebound slowly?? :dontknow:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
runs wide on exit. the rear will lose traction if i really push it, i thought that was do to the nature of the tire (DC3) street/trackday.

so your sayin the rear may be rebounding to fast, add a some rebound slowly?? :dontknow:
Running wide on exit is a sign of not enough swing arm angle! comp could be too soft or your rear is too low? What shock do you have? And if it's stock have you ever shimmed the rear?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a penske triple and running a 55 series tire removed the shim above the shock and she sits +6mm in the rear.

compression settings may be too soft. i just restarted the setting in the rear. H comp at 10 clicks from full soft. L comp at 12 click from full hard. rebound 16 out.

rear sag is set at 25mm, free sag at 8mm
front sag at 30mm

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
i have a penske triple and running a 55 series tire removed the shim above the shock and she sits +6mm in the rear.

compression settings may be too soft. i just restarted the setting in the rear. H comp at 10 clicks from full soft. L comp at 12 click from full hard. rebound 16 out.

rear sag is set at 25mm, free sag at 8mm
front sag at 30mm

Yeah I would mess with your comp! You have low speed so that would be your best defense against rear squat! but you still need to get your HS right for the LS to have good affect

1 - 20 of 22 Posts