Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the ideal thing to do if your front end bottoms out during hard braking at the track? Increase comp or increase preload? I have so far got conflicting views.

Also, what suspension changes might give me better rear tire grip? The rear stepped out suddenly on the 9th lap in one of the sessions. Not sure if it was a suspension set up problem or the rear tire was overheating. Other than that, never had problems with rear grip. Tire wear was good, no sign of tearing.

Bike - 2004 zx10

Suspension - Stock.
Front rider sag - 36mm
Rear rider sag- 30mm.
Front : comp - 6 clicks out, rebound - 7 clicks out
Rear : Comp - 2.5 turns out, rebound - 1.75 turns out.

Tires - Diablo Rosso Corsa (34psi hot front and rear)

Rider weight - 90kgs without gear.

Advice will be much appreciated.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Preloaded is for height so I would play with your compression in the front, assuming your springs are for your weight. As far as your tire goes I'd say you need better tires. Your most likely over working them considering your lap times are getting faster and faster, if not then ya you'd need to soften up the rear a bit.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
+1 on more comp if your bottoming

rear tire grip, lower PSI, soften high speed comp (if you have it) or decrees rear ride hight by shorting shock or backing off pre-load

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bike - 2004 zx10

Suspension - Stock.
Front rider sag - 36mm
Rear rider sag- 30mm.

Advice will be much appreciated.
If your tracking a bike with stock suspension from 04, at the very least get the forks and the shock serviced. By now your fluid is going to look like aluminum soup and prolly a good amount of your nitrogen is gone. Even if you don't have a suspension pro near you, someone who works on dirtbike forks should be able to at least do a fluid swap and a nitrogen refill.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Suspension - Stock.
Front rider sag - 36mm - Problably a little to much, some where in the 25-30 mm range is good for track

Rear rider sag- 30mm. - Good

Sounds like the same thing that happens with every stock suspension set up, to light in the front to heavy in the back. Its pretty common
and it sounds like the front springs are just to light for you, your almost 200lbs and I believe the stock springs are set up for 160-180 geared up. A good rebuild and new springs would go a long way for you. :thumbsup:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Honestly just rebuild them with better components or cartridges. I've never spent money on suspension and been like that was a waste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts