Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question. Is it normal for the ZX10 to have a really low seat height? I'm 5'6" and I can stand flat footed at a stop light. Other bikes I've ridden (650R, 600s, etc) are all much higher. Hell this thing is about as high as a EX250... well maybe about an inch higher.

I am wondering if the previous owner lowered the rear shock a bit. How much of the threads on the shock should be showing at stock settings? I know that changing the geometry around and change the handlign characteristics and, as I am very new to the 10, I would like it to be in it's stock settings before I change things around. Keep in mind that with full armor, boots, backpack, etc- I'm weighing in at less than 160.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My guess is somewhere along the line someone threw in some lowering links. If thats the case is shouldnt be much of a problem to remove them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm 6' and can just put both heels on the ground on my 05. The tail section should look like it's sticking way up in the air.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
My guess is somewhere along the line someone threw in some lowering links. If thats the case is shouldnt be much of a problem to remove them.
:+1: look under the shock and see if there are links there, if so just put the stockers back and then you may have a problem touching the ground with both feet....:mrgreen: I don't think it should be as low as you describe at all.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked. Haven't seen any lowering links. The shock has two rings on it to adjust the spring. The rings look like they are rather high up. I was wondering how many threads should be showing at stock settings.

My riding boots are rather thick so that might be accounting for allot of this. If I am sitting comfortably (not right near the tank per say), the balls of my feet touch just barely. If I sit way far forward on the seat (like when I am trying to walk the bike backwards out of a spot) then I can stand flat footed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've looked. Haven't seen any lowering links. The shock has two rings on it to adjust the spring. The rings look like they are rather high up. I was wondering how many threads should be showing at stock settings.

My riding boots are rather thick so that might be accounting for allot of this. If I am sitting comfortably (not right near the tank per say), the balls of my feet touch just barely. If I sit way far forward on the seat (like when I am trying to walk the bike backwards out of a spot) then I can stand flat footed.
Hi and well come to the forum.

The rings on the spring will not refine the back hight of the bike but will help on the back spring compression. It depends a lot on your weight how you set it and also if you ride alone or you have a passenger most of the time with you.

Any way the lowering or jack up links are 2 flat bars with a ring on each side of the bar where one side is attached to the end ring of the shock and the other to the swinging arm.

I am 5'7 so not so taller than you but I would say that you have lowering links on your bike because when I am on by friend 1st gen I do not reach the ground completely with my flat of the foot when not touching the tank with my balls he he

You can also look at the setting of the shock on the front. the bike can also be lowered from the clamps there.

Sorry cannot help you with the original settings since he had tighten spring because he is almost double my weight :) o )

good luck regards Jo

·
11,423 Posts
I know what lowering links look like. I didn't see any on the bike. I'll take a picture and post :)
They (we) say post a pic because adjusting the rear shock will not raise or lower the rear of the bike enough to make a difference i don't believe. if the front forks are not sticking thru the triple tree an inch or more then the front is set at stock meaning the rear probably is too i think:dontknow:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me grab some pictures. The more I think about it, the more I am not so sure. I do know that if I sit uncomfortably (as Bandana said touching the tank) I can get both feet flat (although just barely). If I am sitting normally I can touch the balls of my feet on the ground but I usually only stand with one foot on the ground at a stop.

Btw, my boots are Field Armors and the heel has to be an inch thick (or more) so that must help a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally would never ever use the suspension to spring force to lower the bike. oh sure it might work but will handle like crap. that is not the intended use of your springs!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds like it was lowered a bit... throw up a pic. They are pretty tall. My friend is like 5'10 and can barely touch on mine. I honestly cant see someone being 5'6 and being able to touch both sides.

·
Registered
445 Posts
you should have about 17 mm of thread showing on the rear shock and the top of your forks should be close to flush with the top triple tree clamps and if you have lowering links they will have multiple holes and on set will put at stock height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, first post so hello :hello:

I'll be perfectly honest and say up front that I won't post in here too often, I've only joined so I can ask a question of all you ZX10R owners! I'm hoping some kind person will feel like helping out a stranger.

I have bought a ZX10R rear shock from a 2009 E9F model bike. I believe it's also the same as the 2008 E8F. The shock is an upgrade for my SV650, but once fitted there isn't much room for adjustment, so it's best to get the settings as standard before you fit the shock, and adjust from there.

Can anyone please post up what all the standard settings are for this shock?

Thanks (and if you ever need help on the sv650.org website, you know where we are) :wink:

·
11,423 Posts
Hi, first post so hello :hello:

I'll be perfectly honest and say up front that I won't post in here too often, I've only joined so I can ask a question of all you ZX10R owners! I'm hoping some kind person will feel like helping out a stranger.

I have bought a ZX10R rear shock from a 2009 E9F model bike. I believe it's also the same as the 2008 E8F. The shock is an upgrade for my SV650, but once fitted there isn't much room for adjustment, so it's best to get the settings as standard before you fit the shock, and adjust from there.

Can anyone please post up what all the standard settings are for this shock?

Thanks (and if you ever need help on the sv650.org website, you know where we are) :wink:

Why didn't you just use a gixxer shock as an upgrade? :dontknow: but hey, whatever works right? best of luck man!! most of the guys i know that run the SV's use gixxer front forks, trees, calipers,rotors,rims, plus the rear shox. but then again i don't own or run one so who am i to say. just my :2cents:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts