Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohlins PRXLS or arrow and bazzaz? Hard ass decision. Is the ohlins a night and day dif in handling over a revalved stock shock? Right now im leaning towards the shock but its a hard decision im sick of looking at the stock exhaust, its hideous.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I'd go suspension first, that is if you're a pretty hard rider, just don't look at the stock exhaust for a few more months.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be riding pretty hard. hopefully at the track. I have the green light from the wife to fund a season of WERA but I need to study up a little more on what its going to take to get my license. I was gonna go for the streets of willow series but I hear it folded.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Ill be riding pretty hard. hopefully at the track. I have the green light from the wife to fund a season of WERA but I need to study up a little more on what its going to take to get my license. I was gonna go for the streets of willow series but I hear it folded.
I think most of the track day guys around here will tell you suspension, no doubt about it. You can only use so much power from a liter bike. I dont know your capabilities but you'll like the suspension more than the power when you get it out there IMO. Then when you start getting faster on the track the added power later will help, so you'll feel more rewarded if you do suspension set up properly first.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont really want more HP but I would love to have a wider spread of power. I hate all the engine braking when coming into a corner I like to let the rpms dip down when leaned way over to carry more corner speed but it hurts my exit speed big time when I do it. But even with that it still has plenty of power to get around a track alot faster than I can manage.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I dont really want more HP but I would love to have a wider spread of power. I hate all the engine braking when coming into a corner I like to let the rpms dip down when leaned way over to carry more corner speed but it hurts my exit speed big time when I do it. But even with that it still has plenty of power to get around a track alot faster than I can manage.
I'm wondering if that engine braking is associated with the servo valve/secondary butteflies. I would suggest getting a TRE from Ivan, that should be a noticeable mod on the track, power definately comes on earlier, but when are you ever below 6K on the track...hmm...I guess that's the only time you'll notice either of those, is below 6K.

I'll trade you though, I wish my bike had a little more engine braking.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Exhaust valve is removed along with the secondaries.
Ok then rule that out I guess. For the most part though you could still get the Bazzaz with AFM, pair that with a lap top and you'll be squeezing the most out of your bike every single track day. Have you had it tuned with the secondaries/exhaust valve being removed?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
suspension, suspension, suspension.

however, don't get suspension untill you're ready to go pay to get it set up. IE, preload, etc.

everything needs tuning...full exhaust ->pcIII, tires->right psi, suspension-> preload, bablablablab

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I havnt had it tuned. But it is running a little stronger and the temps are still staying low so all is good so far. I was considering the bazzaz as a bandade to get a little more mid range grunt out of it. I would have to have it for the exhaust anyways so it wouldnt be a waste thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
No I havnt had it tuned. But it is running a little stronger and the temps are still staying low so all is good so far. I was considering the bazzaz as a bandade to get a little more mid range grunt out of it. I would have to have it for the exhaust anyways so it wouldnt be a waste thats for sure.
Yup, IMO that's when the removal of the secondaries really gets noticed, the pull I gained from 4-5k and on up was pretty nice. I love twisting the throttle in 6th gear now, I just have to hold on with both hands!

Like hill said as well, suspension and tire psi is just as, well IMO more important than engine tuning. Not all tracks are the same either, simply changing the tire pressure, but sometimes tweaking the suspension to suit each track can be a benefit as well.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Suspension is sooo $$$ but if you have ever OWNED a fully tuned suspended bike, you will never go back...It will make you faster due to it taking your weight in turns, pumps, etc. properly thus you are smoother. Smooth means fast.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
No question suspension is the most benificial especially when racing.

BD

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Most tracks can't use the power a 1K kicks out. A rear shock is a must for track days! If you dislike the engine braking then Ivan's TRE will DRASTICALLY reduce engine braking, smooth out the throttle response and pick up a bit of low end. My experience is with the secondaries IN as I would never remove them, they do nothing for power on the 2nd gens and cause fuelling issues and throttle response problems. So.......shock and TRE seems to fit what you are looking for:wink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
You will have much more fun and will enjoy suspension wayyyyy more than the exaust. Power on this bike is not an issue on the track. Improved stability and tranction will give you more.
Go for Ohlins !

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Suspension if your tracking it

·
Registered
186 Posts
as previously mentioned, Ivans TRE gets rid of the fuel cut when you close the throttle. This makes the bike much smoother on and off the gas. Much easier to ride and IMO is necessary if you want to ride hard.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to disagree with the butterflys not doing anything. I can usually full throttle my bike down two of the uphill straights where I ride and only get a small wheelie but after the removal the wheel climbs high enough I have to get out of the gas now. Not a huge dif by any stretch but it has given me a little more power and didnt affect the on off throttle that I think is super smooth on this bike. But if the TRE gives less engine braking I might be making a purchase. My stock shock is resprung and valved so its not all out of wack but it wallows real bad after ive been working it hard and I start to get alot of wheel spin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts