Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3rd gen zx10 and I wanted to know what setting can I change on my suspension to make it ride better for my weight and size.....I weigh 220 and i'm 6'4. I read somewhere that the bike comes stock setup for a 140lb rider . I have the bike lowered one inch in the front .....

So my question is what how many clicks in or out should i set my suspension to ride better being that i'm 220lbs.

I know everything about a bike besides suspension so take it easy on me ....

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I have a 3rd gen zx10 and I wanted to know what setting can I change on my suspension to make it ride better for my weight and size.....I weigh 220 and i'm 6'4. I read somewhere that the bike comes stock setup for a 140lb rider . I have the bike lowered one inch in the front .....

So my question is what how many clicks in or out should i set my suspension to ride better being that i'm 220lbs.

I know everything about a bike besides suspension so take it easy on me ....
why do you have it lowered 25mm in the front :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The first step will be getting the bike resprung to suit your weight.

Dan Kyle sells and services suspension and he's good-damn good. Ohlins has had some amazing deals on suspension items for the ZX. It's easy to spend a small fortune. Depending on your intentions with the bike, it may not be necessary to go too crazy.

ZX10Racer has posted a wealth of information in the linked thread. Sometimes it helps to take baby steps and do some research before moving too far along.

There is a lot of good information from Dave Moss at Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning posted online. He's got a ton of videos at OTT (On The Throttle) somewhere. Give youtube a shot-I'm sure the videos are on there.

I have read and enjoyed Andrew Trevitt's book Sportbike Suspension Tuning.

Small steps are what I like with suspension. I like to learn a little bit at a time and give myself a chance to digest the information before moving on. After a bit, I like to reveiw my notes and read/watch the same things over again to help my understanding of things.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
25mm

why do you have it lowered 25mm in the front :eyecrazy:
Just because my motor is built so theres plenty of power so that has aided in keeping the nose down besides the rear brake....But it seems like me lowering the bike has interfered with my handling....I watched the video on how to tune suspension which make sense to me now...but I won't have anyone that can help me till after new years so I will propababy take it to gmd as I hate waiting lol...So its either i get someones suspension settings or take it to them tomorrow.....

I have always been about power never really paid any attention to suspension but now I have the power so it's only suspension that is left to be done.....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first step will be getting the bike resprung to suit your weight.

Dan Kyle sells and services suspension and he's good-damn good. Ohlins has had some amazing deals on suspension items for the ZX. It's easy to spend a small fortune. Depending on your intentions with the bike, it may not be necessary to go too crazy.

ZX10Racer has posted a wealth of information in the linked thread. Sometimes it helps to take baby steps and do some research before moving too far along.

There is a lot of good information from Dave Moss at Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning posted online. He's got a ton of videos at OTT (On The Throttle) somewhere. Give youtube a shot-I'm sure the videos are on there.

I have read and enjoyed Andrew Trevitt's book Sportbike Suspension Tuning.

Small steps are what I like with suspension. I like to learn a little bit at a time and give myself a chance to digest the information before moving on. After a bit, I like to reveiw my notes and read/watch the same things over again to help my understanding of things.
I intend on upgrading all my suspension probably in the next 3-4 months...But as of now I figured I would get my factory suspension as good as it can be.....I like to feel the difference in each upgrade...So I would like to feel how the stock suspension feels tuned...Then eventually move onto aftermarket suspension and hopefully feel the change there also....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I intend on upgrading all my suspension probably in the next 3-4 months...But as of now I figured I would get my factory suspension as good as it can be.....I like to feel the difference in each upgrade...So I would like to feel how the stock suspension feels tuned...Then eventually move onto aftermarket suspension and hopefully feel the change there also....
If you're going to buy aftermarket forks & a shock then don't bother screwing around with the stock stuff. Buying new springs and having the stockers revalved will just be a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're going to buy aftermarket forks & a shock then don't bother screwing around with the stock stuff. Buying new springs and having the stockers revalved will just be a waste of money.
I have no plan in changing out the spring in my stockers....I just wanted to set the sag and rebound for the time being.... I know with my current weight my suspension is totally off at this point ....

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Just because my motor is built so theres plenty of power so that has aided in keeping the nose down besides the rear brake....But it seems like me lowering the bike has interfered with my handling....I watched the video on how to tune suspension which make sense to me now...but I won't have anyone that can help me till after new years so I will propababy take it to gmd as I hate waiting lol...So its either i get someones suspension settings or take it to them tomorrow.....

I have always been about power never really paid any attention to suspension but now I have the power so it's only suspension that is left to be done.....
there is NO need to lower the front because the bike is making more HP then stock. all your doing is making a bike that will want to tuck the front in a turn due to over weighting the front tire!

you need to move your front back to stock and set sag! with out setting sag NOTHING will feel right.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is NO need to lower the front because the bike is making more HP then stock. all your doing is making a bike that will want to tuck the front in a turn due to over weighting the front tire!

you need to move your front back to stock and set sag! with out setting sag NOTHING will feel right.
As I said suspension and me are just now starting to understand eachother.. your the "suspension guy" so I will take ur advice and raise it back up....

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
You said you had a hard time fallowing the "sag how too thread" what part are you not fallowing? maybe I can help you make scene of it. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
971 Posts
I get shivers down my back just thinking about a gen3 lowered 1" in the front... That must be a NASTY experience... (I don't have fond memories of my gen3)...

You'll be fine with ZX10Racer...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get shivers down my back just thinking about a gen3 lowered 1" in the front... That must be a NASTY experience... (I don't have fond memories of my gen3)...

You'll be fine with ZX10Racer...
Actually it doesnt handle that bad at all....I obviously know theres room for improvement.... I raised it up today and I also purchased the kawasaki kit race brake pads for the rear...They are good because they don't grab as hard which causes less drag when i hit it trying to keep the front wheel on the ground....

I talked to gmd computrak today and we went over my suspension...From what he tells me at 215'bs my front forks are not overloaded and I don't have to change the spring in the front but it could always help...But my rear spring needs to be changed becuase basically i'm overloading the rear shock due to my weight....

Does this make sense to yall??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually it doesnt handle that bad at all....I obviously know theres room for improvement.... I raised it up today and I also purchased the kawasaki kit race brake pads for the rear...They are good because they don't grab as hard which causes less drag when i hit it trying to keep the front wheel on the ground....

I talked to gmd computrak today and we went over my suspension...From what he tells me at 215'bs my front forks are not overloaded and I don't have to change the spring in the front but it could always help...But my rear spring needs to be changed becuase basically i'm overloading the rear shock due to my weight....

Does this make sense to yall??
Who ever told you that is trying to sell you a spring - or something else. Unless you are riding in the advance group at track days (and not being a back marker), the stock supension is not a bad starting point - even at your weight. Most gen 3 ZX10r out of here for racing and advance track days have the rear raised 15mm and the front stock or dropped 5-10mm depending on rider/weight and rider position. I'm not fond of the HS comp setup in the rear shock or the binding issue with the front forks due to the wheel spacer being cut too short..... but I digress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts