Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if any suspension experts could "read" my tires and tell me if anything stands out that I may need to adjust before the next track day.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, tried as hard as i could but just couldn't get rid of that pesky untouched rubber on the sidewalls :lol:

Is mid-corner hesitation what would cause the slightly darker ring and different texture on the outside edges of the rear tire? I noticed that but wasn't sure what the cause was.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey,we are using the same tire,what is the cold pressure you put on your BT003?Mine was 27F/25R cold,and the hot pressure will be 31F/30R after riding.

By the way,it seem like you still use the stock suspensions like me,would you please tell me your rider sag you are setting? thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,we are using the same tire,what is the cold pressure you put on your BT003?Mine was 27F/25R cold,and the hot pressure will be 31F/30R after riding.

By the way,it seem like you still use the stock suspensions like me,would you please tell me your rider sag you are setting? thanks a lot!
I am using the same hot pressures as you, 31f/30r. I didn't measure them cold, just set them to 30f/28r off the warmers and adjusted as necessary when i got off the track.

Worked like a charm all day and it was 94 degrees outside.

I actually have a revavled and resprung rear shock (done by Traxxion Dynamics) but i have my rear sag set at 27mm

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
how are you guys liking the BT003? I've only used the BT002RS on the track and it has held up great for B+ group pace. I've had a guy tell me the bt003 shreds up super fast and advised against it, and told me to go for a Pirelli diablo .. I'm a fan of bridgestone, and i want to stick with a brand so I know the tires, and can set my suspension up for it. I'm definitely interested in the 003R

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how are you guys liking the BT003? I've only used the BT002RS on the track and it has held up great for B+ group pace. I've had a guy tell me the bt003 shreds up super fast and advised against it, and told me to go for a Pirelli diablo .. I'm a fan of bridgestone, and i want to stick with a brand so I know the tires, and can set my suspension up for it. I'm definitely interested in the 003R
They are awesome! Tons of grip.

They do not shred up fast unless you get the wrong compound for your weather conditions. I did 80+ laps on the tires i posted in this thread, and that was in 94+ degree temperatures running in probably the same group you are. Towards the end of the day i was able to provoke a bit of sliding from the rear, but it was ALWAYS controllable and smooth. I easily have another 2 or 3 track days out of the front and another day out of the rear.

My compounds were soft front/med rear

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Vio, i'm definitely gonna give them a shot; where did you end up gettin 'em from, and whats a good price for a set? Thanks man

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback Vio, i'm definitely gonna give them a shot; where did you end up gettin 'em from, and whats a good price for a set? Thanks man
Superbike Supply (one of the site's sponsors) is where i got my set. The price was a bit better than anything else i was able to find online

PM lexusrx and they'll hook you up

·
Registered
685 Posts
So just so I get this straight, unused tire on the rear means you aren't powering out of the corners hard enough and unused tire on the front means you aren't entering the corner fast/hard enough??? Does that sound right?

I have about 1/4 - 1/2" on the rear I rarely use but have what looks like 1 - 1 1/2" on the front that I barely use even when I try. I do tend to hang off the bike alot but could it also be that there is not enough weight over the front and/or the preload is too high?

Thinking about dropping the front 5mm but then again, I plan on going to a 55 rear with the next tire change. Am I on the right track?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
holy chicken strips batman, haha, j/k looks like your hauling some sideways ass

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just so I get this straight, unused tire on the rear means you aren't powering out of the corners hard enough and unused tire on the front means you aren't entering the corner fast/hard enough??? Does that sound right?

I have about 1/4 - 1/2" on the rear I rarely use but have what looks like 1 - 1 1/2" on the front that I barely use even when I try. I do tend to hang off the bike alot but could it also be that there is not enough weight over the front and/or the preload is too high?

Thinking about dropping the front 5mm but then again, I plan on going to a 55 rear with the next tire change. Am I on the right track?
I wouldn't worry much about any chicken strips on the front tire with street riding (assuming you are talking about street riding). If you've measured sag on the front you can check your front preload with a tie wrap on one of the forks. You should be using approx. 3/4 of the travel on the front end, and adjust preload as necessary. With the rear you are gonna have to measure the sag to get the proper preload setting.

Tire pressures could have a lot to do with it too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
... If you've measured sag on the front you can check your front preload with a tie wrap on one of the forks. You should be using approx. 3/4 of the travel on the front end...
i got a little confused,how much you set your rider sag and free sag of the front fork?i will check my sags soon,and i really need those data as a reference.thanks!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i set my rear sag to 27mm and the front to 30mm with full gear. Then i worked on fine tuning the front sag by using a tie wrap on the front fork

1 - 18 of 18 Posts