Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a '15 Abs it's just recently started surging at low rpm's in 1st & 2nd gear when I roll the throttle fully.........
Causes?
Since I took it out of winter storage last month I started using regular gas instead of premium could this be why?.........
Also my air Ram intake is loose/cracked from wheelies, I've ordered a new one, but could this be why?........
Or, my chain is close to needing to be tightened, could this cause it?
Appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's not Ram air or the drive chain. Does it do the same at the same throttle position and rpm in the other gears?

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for clarification, it doesn't surge at a certain rpm, but when I roll full throttle it surges (kinda bucks while accelerating) like 3 to 4 times...
.. I've only noticed it in 1st & 2nd gear.......

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If it is only in first and second then we had better wait and see if anybody else can chip in with actual experience of this acute symptom, as my only suggestion would be to pull the injectors and pump for a good clean and flow test and new filter in pump with a proper tank flush out, but that would be stutter in all gears.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Michael 4012. I'm trying some Seafoam to clean the fuel system🙏🏻........
To be honest, usually by the time I get to 3rd gear my speed & rpms are higher so it doesn't do it, because it only happens when my rpms are low & I give it full throttle (doesn't do it if I accelerate gradually either🤷‍♂️)
I'll get back to ya, thx again brother

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
How was the bike stored for the winter? Where was it stored? How much fuel was in the tank when it was stored?

Don't use Seafoam thinking that will clean your fuel system out. There isn't anything that you can pour into the tank and magically "clean" it like that. You would be best to tank the tank off, completely drain every last drop out of it, drain the fuel line, and refill it with fresh gas to start over.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx SkyDork.....
It was stored in my sister's shed in FL (I live in NY)......
It only went 2 months in between uses & I always used Premium gas, idk why, but i thought regular wouldn't make much of a difference......
To be honest, I don't know exactly how much gas was in the tank🤷‍♂️

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
Thx SkyDork.....
It was stored in my sister's shed in FL (I live in NY)......
It only went 2 months in between uses & I always used Premium gas, idk why, but i thought regular wouldn't make much of a difference......
To be honest, I don't know exactly how much gas was in the tank🤷‍♂️
Regular doesn't make that much of a difference and would be preferable in this case. With it being stored that long with an unknown about of fuel in the tank, I'd be curious if there's water in it causing your issue. Condensation inside the tank will do that. You should always store the bike with the tank full to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@SkyDork.....I didn't think using regular would make much difference, so if it is condensation, is your recommendation to completely drain the tank and the fuel line? Or is there an additive i could try first?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
@SkyDork.....I didn't think using regular would make much difference, so if it is condensation, is your recommendation to completely drain the tank and the fuel line? Or is there an additive i could try first?
I use 87 octane a lot. If the quality of it is good and you aren't aggressively tuned or have some motor work, you should be fine. The quality of the gas is the biggest issue. You can get some bad gas from the station. Yes, I would try first to pull the tank, drain every drop out of it including the fuel line, and start fresh with good fuel. Water is heavier than gas, so it will settle at the bottom of the tank. If the level gets high enough, it will get sucked into the fuel line. IT will slosh around at the bottom while you're riding. Water is too thick to go through the injectors, so it will block them if there's too much in the line. Over time, the water should heat up and evaporate if there isn't too much in there.

You could try something like this:

It's designed to break up the water into smaller particles to go through the injectors.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SkyDork, I bought and put some Heet in & tested the other gears, there isn't any surging in gears 3 & up....... the surging in 1st & 2nd isn't as severe, but I now notice a reduction in power (rate of acceleration) for a little

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use 87 octane a lot. If the quality of it is good and you aren't aggressively tuned or have some motor work, you should be fine. The quality of the gas is the biggest issue. You can get some bad gas from the station. Yes, I would try first to pull the tank, drain every drop out of it including the fuel line, and start fresh with good fuel. Water is heavier than gas, so it will settle at the bottom of the tank. If the level gets high enough, it will get sucked into the fuel line. IT will slosh around at the bottom while you're riding. Water is too thick to go through the injectors, so it will block them if there's too much in the line. Over time, the water should heat up and evaporate if there isn't too much in there.

You could try something like this:

It's designed to break up the water into smaller particles to go through the injectors.
Ok SkyDork, i ran a tank with the heet and the surging is pretty much gone, but there is a loss of normal power now. When i roll the throttle all the way it accelerates slowly for a couple seconds before it begins accelerating normal.........
Do you think it's still water & i should pull and drain the gas tank line?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
Ok SkyDork, i ran a tank with the heet and the surging is pretty much gone, but there is a loss of normal power now. When i roll the throttle all the way it accelerates slowly for a couple seconds before it begins accelerating normal.........
Do you think it's still water & i should pull and drain the gas tank line?
sorry for the delayed response. I'm happy to hear that helped the surging issue. I'd run another tank or two of fresh fuel through it before addressing any perceived power loss. It may take that long to get all the heet mixture out or diluted enough to get it back to normal.

·
Registered
2015 Kawasaki Zx10r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for the delayed response. I'm happy to hear that helped the surging issue. I'd run another tank or two of fresh fuel through it before addressing any perceived power loss. It may take that long to get all the heet mixture out or diluted enough to get it back to normal.
Thx SkyDork....... I've been waiting to reply because by the time you last replied i had already removed my gas tank and drained both it and the fuel line........ I have since run 2 tanks of Shell 93 octane BUT IT IS STILL doing the freaking "lurching/surging" shit in 1st and slightly in 2nd!!!......... It only does it at low rpm's when i give it Full Throttle....... I just purchased a new Ram Air Duct and am replacing my damaged one today......... Do you have any more thoughts/ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts