Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently installed a manual CCT in my 2011 zx10r. The bike sounds much better now that the cam chain slap is gone but now the bike surges at idle and when the throttle is held in one position while riding. It almost feels as though I have lost some power as well. What could have caused this and how can I fix it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First thing is to check and set the timing correctly. Then r check the tensioner and make sure the tension is not to lose or tight. Test ride it then and check if it solves your problem.
you might have jumped a tooth or 2 on your timing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is to check and set the timing correctly. Then r check the tensioner and make sure the tension is not to lose or tight. Test ride it then and check if it solves your problem.
I really don't know how to check or set the timing on this bike or any bike for that matter. I will try to see if maybe the chain is a bit to tight, I just don't know if that would cause the idle to surge?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you "jumped a tooth or two" you'd know already. A piston would have smacked a valve and the bike would no longer run.

The timing chain is captive throughout the system. You cannot change timing by removing the CCT. If you tried to start the bike without a CCT then some crazy nasty stuff can happen but that's a different story.

As a general rule of thumb: if you change something and it makes things worse then change it back.
Installed a new CCT and the bike runs worse? That means you did it wrong. Put the OEM back in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you "jumped a tooth or two" you'd know already. A piston would have smacked a valve and the bike would no longer run.

The timing chain is captive throughout the system. You cannot change timing by removing the CCT. If you tried to start the bike without a CCT then some crazy nasty stuff can happen but that's a different story.

As a general rule of thumb: if you change something and it makes things worse then change it back.
Installed a new CCT and the bike runs worse? That means you did it wrong. Put the OEM back in there.
Yes I agree to a valve smacking a piston ....it all depends on the clearance when the piston reaches TDC but I have seen this happening just my 2c I gave to help a guy out.
Also working on a timing chain or any part of that requires to at least keep the chain always on tension unless you change the TC kit which you would require to set the timing again.
I am only saying that it might have gotten out of timing it wont hurt to double check.

·
The Pace
7,104 Posts
idle surge is normal, BUT there is a problem with the bike if you have NO throttle control, meaning, if your report is accurate concerning surge on steady throttle, then the bike is now unridable. Have to have a pro wrench sort the problem. Wait for Sky to check in and see what he thinks.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,366 Posts
First thing I'd do is replace the timing chain. Sounds to me like it's stretched and has a tight spot in it. Every time is goes around, the time spot stressed the cams and throws off the timing slightly. Not enough to smack a piston, but enough where it won't hold a steady throttle.

Manual CCTs are nice and all, but they are very easy to over-torque. That stresses the chain, cams, guides, and sprockets. The CCT only needs to be tightened to take out any slop, not until the CCT is tight. Manual CCTs are a quick way to damage the engine if you don't know how to use them correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also what I was thinking again maybe check you TPS. Check for solid contact on the connector and check the wiring also. Clean it with some electrical cleaner. Maybe this can also be the cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts