Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been wanting to get one for a while and am finally ready to make the plunge. I was hoping you guys might be able to provide with some personal knowledgeable feedback. Im curious as to the best platform for one, should I get one like a Huskie, or KTM SMR that is already a motard or convert over a standard dirtbike?? I am really looking for 70% street 30% track riding so lets leave highway riding out of the equaion. Also maintenance intervals on them, what to expect and how often. Any input would be greatly appreciated also pictures are always welcome! :wink: Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Expect to have to massage some power out of the drz, and that it will still be lacking compared to other 400 class machines. It will be the most durable of the options, but supermotos are like anything else. You can make it super high output, and unreliable. Or, you can make it decent power output and bombproof. The drz is bombproof, but if I was getting a second bike to dink around on, I would rather have the hp. As to the SMR, KTM, and other 450's, they're all going to require pretty constant oil changes, varied rpms, and relatively frequent valve inspections. The only one I would activley stay away from is the aprilia twin 450 or 550, they have a reputation of eating top ends like no one's business, even with proper maintenance. It's a shame, I rode one of the sxv5.5's, it was a hoot, until it blew up on my acquaintance that owned it.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Woot!

Attachments

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Awesome pics!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
btw, what does ftw mean :dontknow:

(yeah, i live under a rock)

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
for the win

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Expect to have to massage some power out of the drz, and that it will still be lacking compared to other 400 class machines. It will be the most durable of the options, but supermotos are like anything else. You can make it super high output, and unreliable. Or, you can make it decent power output and bombproof. The drz is bombproof, but if I was getting a second bike to dink around on, I would rather have the hp. As to the SMR, KTM, and other 450's, they're all going to require pretty constant oil changes, varied rpms, and relatively frequent valve inspections. The only one I would activley stay away from is the aprilia twin 450 or 550, they have a reputation of eating top ends like no one's business, even with proper maintenance. It's a shame, I rode one of the sxv5.5's, it was a hoot, until it blew up on my acquaintance that owned it.
Thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for more or less. I think I might be leaning towards the Zuki, I like that it is turn key and has all the lights already as oppesed to something that is just kickable or E-start with no lights. I am a fan of HP so I am gonna do some more research I am really not in a hurry to buy but I got that itch and sooner or later I am gonna scratch it!! Thanks for the good info guys keep it comming. Gonna check out the Husqvarna dealer tomorow and just compare them the KTM's and the Zuki!

·
Registered
198 Posts
those are the best looking ones imo, and i hear they're fun......

while they're working :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
As I said, the sxv5.5 is a fucking riot, but you better have the coin and time to keep putting top ends on it. I know the Husky 450 is one of the more liked plated supermotos out there (handles being street ridden, kinda - not nearly as good as the drz). That's where I would start looking to scratch the itch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts