Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know I am getting the Samco hoses. Now once they come in and I drain my radiator, I am contemplating which coolant to use. I was thinking either Redline Supercool or Engine Ice. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I havent used the redline supercool but i do have engine ice in my bike and it works great!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Save yourself some money and use regular coolant unless you're gonna be on the track. In that case, fill 'er up with water and water wetter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I drained my coolant early this year and went to engine ice. Is it miles better than the old stuff? No. I just took the opportunity to try something new when I was doing the maintenance anyway. It is a little cooler at long stop lights, though I think a better rad. fan would do more help than the coolant change did.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
engine ice

go to the top of the thread and under thread tools make it a poll

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm running 7th Gear coolant. It's similar to Engine Ice. I bought it on a recommendation from the folks at sportbiketrackgear.com, when I ordered my tires. My bike seems to run cooler with it vs. regular coolant.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Yeah, cant recommend engine ice for doing anything special....nice for trackdays and not worrying about the bike freezing up for winter.

but if on a budget would pass..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My bike has 14000mi and the hottest it has ever been was 210. Going down the road it stays around 160 and the winter 30 minute ride never gets over 140.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm using Engine Ice currently. I haven't noticed any amazing results, but it seems to run a bit cooler, maybe 10 degrees or so.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I switched to Engine Ice, honestly the temps are about the same while under way, maybe a few degrees cooler. I did however install a lower temp thermoswitch which turns my fan on around 195 vs 206 while sitting in traffic. Engine Ice is quite expensive, but I figured i would try it. Of course I run Silkolene 10w40 (60 bucks for 4 liters) and Motul brake fluid (20 bucks a pint), the way I look at it is, liter bikes are worthy of top of the line products/fluids.

A good antifreeze and distilled water will do the job, its a mental thing for me.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
How did you lower the temp?

I was just pondering that idea with vince10r yesterday

·
Registered
586 Posts
How did you lower the temp?

I was just pondering that idea with vince10r yesterday
For my K4 Gixxer 1000, I installed a Kingquad 600 thermoswitch. Direct replacement, same switch body and electric connector, it simply has a lower trigger temp for the fan. Cost just under 40 bucks, a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Before I changed it my fan wouldn't kick on until it was around 205 to 207 indicated, then the fan would continue to run as the temp increased and stabilzed in the 220's sitting in traffic on a hot day, way too hot IMO. Now it stabilizes in the low 200's, even during an hour crawl in a Legion Riders parade it never went above 210, with numerous other bikes dropping out because of overheating issues it validated my mod in my mind.

Im not sure if Kawi has an easy swap like this. I would imagine a seasoned member here has tried it.?.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Honestly your the first I've heard. Maybe you could post a lil thread for us? That's simply genius. I need to do this. Rep sent

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I wired a manual fan switch to keep the temps down when stuck in traffic, but would much rather have the convenience of the thermoswitch. My bike used to get above 210 in heavy traffic, now it never climbs above 195. Whoever decided that 210 was a suitable temp for the switch has never lived in Texas, they must have cool weather in Japan.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Honestly your the first I've heard. Maybe you could post a lil thread for us? That's simply genius. I need to do this. Rep sent
I cant take the credit for it, but thank you anyways. Ill see if I can dig the thread up for you. BTW, not as if it matters for ZX10's but it was a switch from a Kinquad 700 not 600. I still have the stock switch here at work. I could take a pic or 2 and take measure the threads. I wonder how similar it is to yours...

·
Newfie Bullet
2,342 Posts
De ioinized water and water wetter...Winter totally drain and refill with anti freeze of budget choice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts