Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a new helmet. I really want to get a Suomy but don’t know if the Extreme is worth the extra $$$. Just wanted your opinion.

Also how is the venting, does it actually work. I am just relizing that my KBC VR1 isn't the best venting but i can't complain b/c i got it for $75 NIB.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
dscsk8er55 said:
Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a new helmet. I really want to get a Suomy but don’t know if the Extreme is worth the extra $$$. Just wanted your opinion.

Also how is the venting, does it actually work. I am just relizing that my KBC VR1 isn't the best venting but i can't complain b/c i got it for $75 NIB.

Thanks,
Ryan

well if your asking if a $600 helmet is better then a $75 helmet....
think about it.. :dontknow: of course it will be better..

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have several Suomy helmets, they are very good helmets, high quality, and very comparable to the higher costing helmets that are available. I actually perfer them over Arai, but thats just my preference.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks for the comments. I guess i just need to clear up my questions.

1. Is the Extreme worth the extra $$$?

2. How is the venting on the spec-1r Extreme (or non) helmet?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't be so sure that more $$$ is better. Motorcyclist did a study on helmets a few months ago where the $79 special favored just as well as the fullout race helmets.
They tested the most likely impacts for street riding and the hardest lids available passed an impact/trauma level that would cause significant brain damage.

We're trying to protect our brains as best possible and for average incidents, the regular helmet will adequately protect you. The kind of impact that would break even the cheap helmet will make you brain dead or dead dead anyway

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
alot of people argue over that study. some are happy, others are not. the suomy ventilates very well. the extreme is the lightest helmet on the market, and they look great. other brands to think about are:

shoei-very good helmet for the $$$.
shark-best all around helmet for weight, safety features, and price.
arai-very good helmet but you will pay out the a$$ at most local dealers.

just giving you my .02

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
lexusrx said:
alot of people argue over that study. some are happy, others are not. the suomy ventilates very well. the extreme is the lightest helmet on the market, and they look great. other brands to think about are:

shoei-very good helmet for the $$$.
shark-best all around helmet for weight, safety features, and price.
arai-very good helmet but you will pay out the a$$ at most local dealers.

just giving you my .02
:+1: :helmet:

Shoei save my head.....

Shark is value for money....

Arai has more design to chose from....

Suomy has the quality of top helmet & more value for money. But then, the graphics seem a bit to funky to me...

·
Registered
230 Posts
flatout said:
Don't forget about OGK gotta love the shield system on them.
Hey Slava, whatsup......OGK is a great helmet, I bought a Euro spec one last year, and I think its a fantastic helmet, super light and very comfortable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ducatiwv said:
Hey Slava, whatsup......OGK is a great helmet, I bought a Euro spec one last year, and I think its a fantastic helmet, super light and very comfortable.
And rip your ears off when you put it on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, I think the Extreme is worth the extra $$ when compared to the Spec-1R. I've noticed that the extreme has better venting and the visor works great both in the day and night. And I think it has the best graphics!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Alex31 said:
I don't see OGK as a high quality helmet.....
You should same standards as the Suomy,shoei I have one and personally like it better than some of my other helmets.

I also own multiple suomy helmets most of them the extreme models. Very nice helmet, I personally think the sheild though (irridium) has issues with it though.

The arai have a couple of the corsairs models like them but seem heavy to me.

The shoei nice helmets just i don't know something about them i don't like

the top on my list are the suomy models, then arai/ ogk but thats my personal choices.

Any helmet from some of todays top makers will protect your head in a crash.

Always always try on helmets before you buy, not every helmet manufacture will fit your head ("correctly")

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HELL YEAH!!!!! My 10 is my daily driver and going home at 3 or 4pm (when it is 100+) every day KILLS ME!!! I just put in an order with Slava for the Extreme Dragon. Thanks for all the comments.

And BIG UPS TO SLAVA for the hook up once again!!! Thanks man.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well I spent $600 on a Shark hemet, the ventilation sucks big time, and the chin vent stopped working. I emailed Shark, although they called back once and left a message they said they would email me with some follow up procedures.....that was 3 weeks ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts