Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been looking at my buddys Browning 22 Caliber pistol & I have shot it a few times. I want to get a small hand gun for target practice. Down the line I might get something a little larger.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive good starter 22 pistol?

The local pistol shop showed me a Smith & Wesson 22 pistol that was $1200 dollars (it was used too). I dont want to get hosed on this, so if I could have a few suggestions of some $600ish target practice pistols, that would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ninja2k5 said:
Ruger Mark lll Hunter .22. You can trick them out too. Best .22 pistol for my money. Google it!!!
:+1:

I looked at that one myself... nice!.......

·
Registered
347 Posts
Inexpensive- Ruger. I have an old MK1 and I can still drive tacks with it. If you want to spend a little more money the Walther p22 is an awesome gun.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so that helps narrow it down a bit. Is one easier to clean/use than another? I am very new to this & I want to make sure that I use it often instead of not using it so often to avoid a PIA cleaning routine.

·
Currently Clueless
1,516 Posts
I am getting the Sig Mosqito when I return home this time.As far as ease of cleaning the Sig is probably the easiest since it takes down like all other Sig handguns. Also if you wanna trasition to another bigger gun I would go with the Sig because its based on the 226 full size frame and also has normal pistol sights unlinke the ruger. The Walther is good I just don't like the trigger pull seems alittle to spongy for my tastes. Basicall go to a gun shop and try dry firing the different ones and find out what feels best in your hands.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've got a Ruger Mk II, 5 1/2" bull barrel. Great pistol. Pretty much an essential.
Kind of difficult/ tricky to break down until you get used to it. Not like a Glock...

It's what you need, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Slims10R said:
I am getting the Sig Mosqito when I return home this time.As far as ease of cleaning the Sig is probably the easiest since it takes down like all other Sig handguns. Also if you wanna trasition to another bigger gun I would go with the Sig because its based on the 226 full size frame and also has normal pistol sights unlinke the ruger. The Walther is good I just don't like the trigger pull seems alittle to spongy for my tastes. Basicall go to a gun shop and try dry firing the different ones and find out what feels best in your hands.
You don't dry fire 22s.You can dry fire any centerfire cartrige but NO RIMFIRE.It will damage the firing pin.No gun shop will let you dry fire any 22,at least if he is smart.Ride safe..................Les

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ruger all the way. I have shot many .22 calibers but none as accurate or reliable as the Ruger.

I bought a Jennings .22 awhile back cause it was cheap and needed some work to fix a stove pipe issue. Now, I'm no gunsmith but I have torn down and worked on quite a few weapons in my time and fixed more than a few issues but after working on the Jennings I ended up with a fully automatic .22 pistol that still jammed!!

The thing scared the SH*T outta me when it emptied a full mag in about .2 seconds at the range. Needless to say I took the cutting torch to the POS and its now nothing more than scrap metal pieces in the landfill.

Spend the money and buy a good .22, the ammo is cheap so spend the money on a good tool to run it through.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts