Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, prince-tony has decided he wants a bike. He is 5. Looking at a PW, JR, or CFR 50. Any experience with these bikes or advice on starting out a youngster?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
the little Honda 50s are nasty f'sho. Wheelies in 3rd aren't a problem!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Whatever you get him make sure you build safe riding habits...as I am sure you will. I keep asking my son what are the two things we NEVER DO:
1. Ride without our gear! (helmet, gloves, jacket and pants)
2. Never date fat chicks!
Well maybe not the second one that was just my thing...but good advise non the less.
By the way he is 5mo old I guess you can never start too early.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The honda 50's are pretty bulletproof. Honda's patent on the design of their 50 has expired so there are alot of 50 knock offs out there that are using the "honda" 50 engine for alot less $ than the honda. I just bought my kid a 50cc quad w/ electric start, 4sp auto clutch, throttle limiter, dual kill switches, keyed ignition, and even a headlight, shipped to my door for $560. New in the crate. The chasis isn't even close to the quality of the acutal honda or suzuki 50's but I'm only using it for my kids to learn the basics on and have fun.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
speedfreak said:
The honda 50's are pretty bulletproof. Honda's patent on the design of their 50 has expired so there are alot of 50 knock offs out there that are using the "honda" 50 engine for alot less $ than the honda. I just bought my kid a 50cc quad w/ electric start, 4sp auto clutch, throttle limiter, dual kill switches, keyed ignition, and even a headlight, shipped to my door for $560. New in the crate. The chasis isn't even close to the quality of the acutal honda or suzuki 50's but I'm only using it for my kids to learn the basics on and have fun.
Do you know of any Honda 50cc automatic dirt bikes that are knock offs? I would rather get one of those cheap and if my 5yr old doesn't like riding the dirt than not to much damage. I would just hate to spend the $1500 plus and training wheels cost just to find out it's not his gig after a few rides.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
05zx10pilot said:
Whatever you get him make sure you build safe riding habits...as I am sure you will. I keep asking my son what are the two things we NEVER DO:
1. Ride without our gear! (helmet, gloves, jacket and pants)
2. Never date fat chicks!
Well maybe not the second one that was just my thing...but good advise non the less.
By the way he is 5mo old I guess you can never start too early.

My wife did not find #2 as funny as i did....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bluedevil said:
Do you know of any Honda 50cc automatic dirt bikes that are knock offs? I would rather get one of those cheap and if my 5yr old doesn't like riding the dirt than not to much damage. I would just hate to spend the $1500 plus and training wheels cost just to find out it's not his gig after a few rides.

I've been looking at the local classifieds and it seems I can get a 1-2 yr old 50 (pick your brand) for about $750 or go about 3-4 years and get one for $600. They seem to hold their value well after that first year, so I am probably going to go that route.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
king-tony said:
I've been looking at the local classifieds and it seems I can get a 1-2 yr old 50 (pick your brand) for about $750 or go about 3-4 years and get one for $600. They seem to hold their value well after that first year, so I am probably going to go that route.
King-tony,

That's what I tried to do...buy a 1 or 2 yr Honda Automatic 50cc in the paper. Guess what? They still wanted $1200 but came with good solid training wheels. Well I thought about it for a couple of days and when I called the guy back to go look at it he said SOLD!!!!. I was like dam he probably could have gotten alot more, so down here in Cali I have a feeling there is more demand thus more $$$$$, but I will keep searching. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
2005 CRF50's Brand New $683.00
Just got a line that Southern Honda in Chattanooga Tn is selling brand new 2005 CRF50's for $683 with no added fees. The website still says $783 but if you call you can get one for $683. The deal goes till June 1. I have a friend that is a salesman there and he gave me the scoop. Its pitbike time!

www.southernhonda.com

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
flatout said:
2005 CRF50's Brand New $683.00
Just got a line that Southern Honda in Chattanooga Tn is selling brand new 2005 CRF50's for $683 with no added fees. The website still says $783 but if you call you can get one for $683. The deal goes till June 1. I have a friend that is a salesman there and he gave me the scoop. Its pitbike time!

www.southernhonda.com
Great price. That would be worth a drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts