Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about the little switch that disengages when the front brake lever is pulled in. It seems to be sticking causing intermittent operation of my brake light. Rear brake operates the light fine, and both turn signals work.

I figure it just needs a little cleaning, and I'd prefer to not remove it if possible. Has anyone done this before? It's odd that it is failing so soon, this bike never sees bad weather.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd go with Contact Cleaner. It's kind of like brake cleaner but for electronics and safe for plastics.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I use contact cleaner as well but I will say it's not safe for "all" plastics. I sprayed some into my Chatterbox x2 helmet dock and it just instantly melted right apart. It must have been made out of some extremely crappy plastic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd replace the switch, like $50
I have an aftermarket brake light/fender eliminator using OEM harness (didn't have to cut wires), so I'm not ruling that out, but the light's intensity and reaction time to applying the front brake will very intermittently. Doesn't matter if I slowly pull the front brake (disengage the switch), or quickly pull the front brake. Reminder the rear brake activates light perfectly, and turn signals work.

Wouldn't be the first time I've replaced that switch (on other bikes), just stunned how quickly it seems to have failed on this one.

For Scout, this bike is garaged. Maybe related to some over spray from cleaner/polish, although I doubt it, because it's not like I cake it all over the bike when cleaning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They make electrical conduct cleaner... $10 or so on Amazon.

Thanks bro, I'll pick some up and give it a go. Have to say I was very happy that no one said to spray some wd/40.

My biggest concern is not the plastic, but the little rubber boot. If I have to I'll try opening the case and inspecting before purchasing a new switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts