Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I needed new tires. My old Qualifiers were toast. The back was down to the wear bars near the middle from all the commuting miles, and the front was wearing funny - probably due to the pressure I was running, but whatever. I was leaning toward the Pirelli Rossos, but nobody had a 190/55 and I'd have to order them. Alright, no big deal. I needed rear brake pads too, so I figured I'd go pick some up today, and change the oil too while I was at it.

So I go out into the garage and start working. I checked out the rear tire and...

Shit. I wanted to get some riding in this weekend on the 10. It's late Sept. and the snow can start flying without warning.

So I call all the local shops, and nobody's got anything but PP2CT and BT-016 in 190/55. So I pull the wheels off the bike and get a set of the BT's mounted up. They're not Corsa IIIs or Rossos, but there are much worse choices. Picked up brake pads too, and went home, changed the oil and put everything back together.

I head out on a short ride to test things out and scrub some of the slimy shit off the tires. The bike is feeling good, the brakes are working, and so far I'm liking the new tires. Since the tires are new I'm not pushing hard or going crazy fast. All of a sudden this brown blob comes out of no where, and I see feathers flying. It took a second for it to register that I'd just creamed a wild turkey, and that I'd probably just left some carnage behind me in the road. Luckily, it didn't cause any drama that would cause me to go down - I barely even felt anything. But then I get home and this...

And the stench of burning feathers all up in the exhaust headers...DAYUM!

It could be a lot worse. I was expecting to find something crammed into the radiator and to find antifreeze leaking out all over the place, but so far this is all the damage I can find.

The first blemishes on this bike other than normal road wear and tear. I'm not sure if it's bad enough to get the cracked fairing replaced once I pull the feathers out and wash off the blood. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For a minute I thought the feather was a major gash. That was light damage and be lucky that was all the damage caused!

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
For a minute I thought the feather was a major gash. That was light damage and be lucky that was all the damage caused!
:+1:
I hit a rabbit at 70 and cracked it pretty good, a turkey I imagine would toast a fairing but yours looks pretty good, glad that's the only bad thing that happened!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had one run in front of me heading up the Buckhorn canyon between the Thompson and Poudre canyons.
I was a little luckier than you, as I missed him by 10' or so.
Glad to hear you didn't go down.
FYI - if you don't have a favorite parts shop, the guys at Tri City are awesome.
Probably a little out of your way if your in Denver, but may be worth it

·
Team Green Baby!
2014 MV Agusta F3 675
1,519 Posts
Yes that does suck! Nice to know you (and the bike :wink:) escaped minimal damages. I would get them replaced eventually. If it's the lower fairing, it shouldn't be that much dough.

On a side note, for some reason I can't picture wild turkeys in Colorado!
:lol: :dontknow:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
close one

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Glad your ok and your baby can be fixed back up in no time.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ahh wild turkeys..... a couple years ago i was speeding through some back roads in my subaru (nothing nice). Come around a corner doing bout 85 and see a turkey about 60 yards up the road. I'm thinking to myself "if i doesnt get out of the way, how much damage can it really do?" Well it didnt move, but it did jump at the last second and completely demolish my windshield.... Lesson Learned, lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assessed the damage a bit more today and it does look like the only damage is to the mid fairing...that's a big relief. Looks like I can pick up a brand new one pre-painted and everything for around $200, which isn't ideal but ain't too shabby. I'd rather have put that money toward some ZX14 calipers, but I guess that will have to wait a bit longer.

In a way I'm glad it was the 10R and not the 6RR. Replacement plastics seem to be harder to find and much more expensive for that bike for some reason.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Man I am afraid to go riding now! I just put a new bto16 on the rear of my 10 and withing 3 weeks I got a finish nail in it. Just got the 2nd new one put on Thurs. night and pulled my lower back out Fri. at work. Whats These bridgestones got a hex on them or something. Seriously, glad to hear your ok, If that turkey would have been a little higher it could have took you out. Also you should be able to claim it on insurance without worry of on increase in premiums.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
shoot, you could even run a vinyl sheet (color of choice) up the side to cover that up if you don't want to replace the plastic.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That sucks, it sounds like you had a sting of bad luck! Hope your luck turns around

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You're lucky man

1 - 20 of 31 Posts