Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought my first kawasaki a shiny green 05 ZX10R after being a few suzukis and R1's - what a revelation, il be a lifelong kwak fan for sure now! However the bike has got a few issues that have popped up. Its a low mileage one (only 2000 miles) and is stock except for a racefit mega exhaust. When the bike starts up it idles inconsistently, it will start then idle 1000rpm, drop to like 750rpm then compensate up to 1300 rpm in the space of a second or two. Then when I ride it up to 3000 rpm (in any gear/speed) it stutter and jerks on accerlation and neutral throttle, and sounds like its cutting the spark on a cylinder?. Over 3000 rpm it sings like and goes like hell?? The other thing is ive noticed a little smoke coming from the exhaust on start up running and it smells a but fuelly, like its running a bit rich, could the problems be linked? The problem was there when I had the stock can on it too? The bike was stood unused for a couple years at least so Ive been suggested it could be coils or plugs need doing but wanted to check with the knowledge base here before I lay out loadsa money ! Thanks all :dontknow:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I would start with checking/changing the plugs and if ypu use the CR9EK's they run a little hotter and i've heard are a little better than the titanium's that the bikes come with. i've used and use them and have no complaints. i would think it's either the plugs or a fueling issue maybe. run some cleaner thru a full tank...some octane booster-roost boost etc....and see what happens. IF you go to autoxone instead of a bike shop or dealer then the plugs will be about $20 and say $5 max for the cleaner-booster. that's a cheap try at a fix and even if that's not it......it won't hurt the bike at all to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts