Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have it on good authority from someone who i trust with a gen5 track bike that getting the ecu flashed will alleviate my woes with the absolute lack of low and midrange power on my 2018. i know what e3cu flashing is and at a high level, i understand what it does. but i did some research and it seems that there are a ton of options of what can be turned on and off and i have no idea what most of those ive read are...also, does it make more sense to buy the equipment myself or have someone do it for me? TIA

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have Woolich and am getting ready to finally install it very soon when work lets up. From what I've read here and all over the place, including Woolich's forum, you need to mainly adjust the ETV settings to get more midrange and smoother on/off throttle transition as well as replacing the stock US map which starves the engine of power across the rpm range. Just by flipping some check boxes and loading the stock Euro map you also get full top-end power that the 10R is capable of. A full exhaust is also generally beneficial for midrange, but that is a pretty big step pricewise. And of course, upping compression will help with midrange but that's a bigger step pricewise. The trouble with the mail-in tunes is you get what you get and that's it. You can't adjust it yourself even if you have the tools. Best is dyno tuning with a knowledgeable tuner. I'm having a hard time finding tuners here in So Cal that know the 10R, so I went for the auto-tune on Woolich. Obviously I'm a noob and haven't yet installed so my opinion is not worth nearly as much as others around here.
As soon as I get my bike back from the dealer to repair the non-working positive neutral finder after the transmission recall, Woolich, full Graves, block-off plates, autotune is going on. Can't wait-

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The GEN 5 is mostly restricted on the top end. While a good tune can increase mid range by a few hp and make throttle transition smoother. A tune won't change the way the engine was designed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Woolich is great and there are several people on this forum that will help. Also Anthony is a wealth of knowledge. Akra header makes the most mid-range along with updating ecu via Woolich.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Personally i think trying to get midrange outta these bikes is an effort in futility. Just not designed that way. Not even with sprockets, etc... Sure, you'll get maybe 2-3 ponies across the mid with a good tune and some parts but it will spike up around 12K RPM where all your HP will be. Midrange on these bikes is riding the clutch lol.

Reactions: Boxtradamus

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
do it yourself? buy woolich. dont wanna worry about it? send it to 2 Wheel DynoWorks. want more midrange? buy a gsxr.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What you are looking for is the ETV (electronic throttle valve) mapping to be re-flashed.
The computer controls how much throttle you get when you twist the grip, not your hand.

Reflash it to 1:1 and its a whole different machine. The stock setting is so bad, the bike is very hard to ride, due to poor throttle response.

I highly recommend EDR in Portland for a custom flash.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you are looking for is the ETV (electronic throttle valve) mapping to be re-flashed.
The computer controls how much throttle you get when you twist the grip, not your hand.

Reflash it to 1:1 and its a whole different machine. The stock setting is so bad, the bike is very hard to ride, due to poor throttle response.

I highly recommend EDR in Portland for a custom flash.
:iamwithstupid:

This man gets it. I respectfully disagree with those who suggest that something about the Gen 5 motor’s design precludes it from making good low and midrange power. Based on experiences with my and a couple friends’ Gen 5s, it seems clear to me that the OEM headers and ETV mapping are largely responsible for the bikes flaccid powerband from the factory.

Before installing a full system, I rode around for a couple weeks with the OEM exhaust but flashed ECU. Most of us on this forum have an idea what that felt like; almost nothing down low followed by a mad rush of power around 9-10K RPM. The bike’s character was like that of a VERY fast 600. I have a friend with an Akrapovic 3/4 system whose bike still feels that way. My bike, with an Akrapovic full system, would hit hard around 6-7K RPM while the slip on bike would be forced to quickly bang some downshifts or get left for dead. Not fun on the street and not always an option on a tight track.

I also took the advice of Anthony and a couple other forum members and starting playing with the ETV mapping in my Woolich flash. Take a glance at the stock ECU file and it’s obvious that the top end is restricted and how it was done but less obvious is how much the factory mapping holds the bike back down low as well. After experimenting with different ETV settings across the board, my bike now has VERY good throttle response/acceleration from as low as 4K RPMS (actually a little earlier than that) and has been completely transformed. Just for a frame of reference, the power on the Gen 5 comes on earlier and stronger than my well modded Gen 2 (I’ll spare the details but it’s got more than typical bolt-ons). On the highway it’s rarely necessary to downshift from 6th gear for strong passing performance, even with a passenger. I’ll also add that I’m not running aggressive gearing, stock front sprocket and +1 in the rear.

I understand that it’s frustrating to be forced to ride a literbike like a 600 and that full systems are very expensive but wanted to point out that there are reasonable ways to address the bike’s powerband shortcomings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have my Full power mode ETV at 100% every gear all cells via Woolich. M mode I have played around with and set it to way I like it, which close to 100%. I never ride in F mode, only M.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
100 % bike is a beast after even basic mods ie pair valves, air filter ditch the exhaust servo and cat disable all tje smog crap and flash her. Spend the money and buy yhe whole setup if my bike wasnt my friends r&d bike for some agressibe flashes i would have bankrupt myself everytime i wanted to change it all again

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I used Woolich on my previous Gen 5 and it made for an entire new bike. ETV, timing and fuel delivery are all changed and it makes the bike run like you want.

Getting ready to purchase Woolich for my 17' CBR1KRR-SP and it's the same outcome. Completely new bike.

As others have stated, Anthony (ZX10Archer) is the man. He knows the 10R's in and out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts