Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had tough times removing sprocket nuts in the past, but they've always budged eventually with an impact gun, sometimes after adding heat. Tonight, though, I rounded off the wimpy nut and had to come up with a new plan.

I found a big nut (1.25"), cut it in half, did some gutting and welded it onto the rounded Kawi nut. Then I was able to get it off easily with an impact gun.

I can't help but wonder why Kawasaki used such a stupidly shaped nut. I assume there was a reason, but I can't guess why it has so little meat to grab.

I am vowing to put it back together with a half height nylon locking nut, assuming I can find one. I think the thread is 20MM x 1.75. Can anyone confirm?

On edit: Threads are 1.5 pitch.

When I locate the better nuts, I'll post here where I found them. I am hoping that will solve the problem once & for all.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was just to get the old stripped nut off. I don't plan to use it again.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think it was a three way nut if not mistaking. Don' t know why kawi used it. It was bitch for me too. If you are talking about the foward sprocket. I went with the largest socket to lock but first shoot some WD40 on it. I let it sit for more than an hour. Then hit it. She came off with elbow grease.. Good luck finding a replacement bolt...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looking to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Are you poping the transmission in first and having someone hold the rear break before you hit the nut with a impact gun?? Also is your impact gun strong enough? Just tossing some ideas.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looing to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges. :thumbsup:
:+1:

any deviation otherwise will mess with the speedo.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
1 gear does not work. Hurting the transmission! You need to have someone to lock the rear brake then with the chain and rear wheel still in riding position..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put a socket on the smaller part of the nut, there is a whole lot more for it to grab on to. I assume you dont use the speedo(because your looking to change the nut to a different one) so you dont have to worry about messing up the triggering edges. :thumbsup:
AHA! Yes, you are correct. I knew there must be a reason. I feel dumb. :).

I have a big socket in my toolbox that fits the widest part of the nut, but not the smaller (27mm?).

While Googling, I've found this in the UK. Still looking for a source in the USA.

https://www.z-power.co.uk/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=1646

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
1 gear does not work. Hurting the transmission! You need to have someone to lock the rear brake then with the chain and rear wheel still in riding position..
... or shove a 2x4, or any other suitable object, through the rear wheel against the swingarm ...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think it was a three way nut if not mistaking. Don' t know why kawi used it. It was bitch for me too. If you are talking about the foward sprocket. I went with the largest socket to lock but first shoot some WD40 on it. I let it sit for more than an hour. Then hit it. She came off with elbow grease.. Good luck finding a replacement bolt...
It is a three way nut.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already gave you the link on where to find a replacement sprocket nut
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

I don't need or want a stock nut, and if I did, I could probably find one without much trouble.

But thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Sprocket Change is pretty straight forward. Check your impact gun. My 06 10r and 02 7r came of eventually even with my crappy budget gun.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While Googling, I've found this in the UK. Still looking for a source in the USA.

https://www.z-power.co.uk/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=1646
Well, I contacted the guy at Z Power in the UK. Turns out their nut fits older Kawasaki bikes but not the 04-05.

I found a M20 1.5 nylon insert nut at Fastenal (SKU 0145173). I ordered a few.

My hunch is that I need a half height (jam) nut version because there aren't many threads on the tranny shaft. I may cut the nut if I determine it is too tall. I'll need to make sure I don't melt the nylon while cutting.

I realize most of you don't care about this, since you need to retain the speedo function, but decided to share anyway, JIC.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As expected, that new nylon locking nut's height was too tall, so I cut it down so the nylon would catch some of the threads. I'm happy, because now I have plenty of good nut surface to get a socket on, unlike the stupid stock nut. Frequent changes should be much easier. The new nut takes a 30mm socket, which I don't have (and no nearby stores carry), but a 1 3/16" socket I had fit pretty well.

Also pictured are the two stock nuts that I stripped (didn't have the proper socket), and, in desperation, welded on nuts so I could get a good gip. Surprisingly, that worked well both times.

As a reminder, this works for me because I don't run the stock speedo sensor on my race car.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
For our cars, we use a drive shaft adapter. We have to machine that little shoulder off. I have never had a problem using the smaller, deeper part of the nut. Are you sure you had the right size socket?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<snip> Are you sure you had the right size socket?
See post #10.

:+1:

That seems to work on any bike
Well, I realize my situation is not typical for this forum, since I've never had one of the engines in a bike frame. They have always been sitting on the garage floor when I've tried to get the sprocket off.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts