Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm trying to install these CA lights. I'm trying to remove the seat latch assembly and one of the phillips head screws WILL NOT COME OUT. I tried to use my Dewalt gun after unsuccessful attempts with a regular screwdriver and it stripped the freakin' screw. Now I've made the screw head practically round and I don't know how to get it out. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

·
Registered
109 Posts
if u have a little cut off wheel, you can cut a straight notch into the head, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, if not you can buy a screw extracter, i have one from sears i think, and it works all the time

good luck

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ORANGE10R said:
if u have a little cut off wheel, you can cut a straight notch into the head, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it, if not you can buy a screw extracter, i have one from sears i think, and it works all the time

good luck
Thanks, I'm headed to Home Depot right now to pick up one of those extracters.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ORANGE10R said:

good luck
:+1: Those extracters work great!!

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
yeah, the extractors work good sometimes, if you can get them to bite.....if not, you can drill a small hole in the head of the stripped screw to give the extractor something to grip...good luck

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Another choice, if you know the thread size (measure the one you got out), is to carefully drill into the screw head using a drill bit that is the same size as the threads. The stripped screw head will act as a guide to center the drill bit, and beyond that, you will just have to be careful to drill absolutely straight down. Frequently take the drill out of the hole to check if you have made it through the head. It helps to make a little notch and knock it in a direction trying to turn the screw loose using a punch.

I've had to do that a couple of times. It's always a bit scary. Worst one was drilling out a stripped-out bolt that was holding the front pulley onto a car engine; had to be removed in order to replace the timing belt ...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
By the way, I prefer drilling the head off instead of using extractors. The reason is that if you ever break one of those extractors off inside the screw, now you are *really* in trouble. You can't drill out the extractor, it's harder than any tool in the known universe - and they are very brittle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts