Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm doing my wifes oil change, I drain the oil, clean everything up while I wait for it to drain, then I take my 17mm socket, I make sure it's seated properly and begin to turn. Well it turned alright, it turned every edge right off the nut, stupid k&n!, what would be the best method to remove this now without getting Texas chainsaw massacre on it? I have a nice tool for normal filters but k&n has to be round, stupid k&n! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
I have a large pair of Channellock pliers that I use to get it off. The pliers can actually crush the sides and loosen it. If that is not an option then a slipjoint or adjustable oil plier will work. they are actually made for that sort of work anyway.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have noted, her bike is an 07 zx6r. Stupid filters a bugger to get at. I've got a couple filter wrenches but the angle just doesn't seem to work. Think I'll stop by the tool shop tomorrow after work and find a nice big channel locks or vice grips, that's a good idea, stupid k&n! Thank you

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Lucky10R that is a must own tool for me, thanks for sharing!

(was gonna send you rep but it says I must spread around first)

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
I guess I should have noted, her bike is an 07 zx6r. Stupid filters a bugger to get at. I've got a couple filter wrenches but the angle just doesn't seem to work. Think I'll stop by the tool shop tomorrow after work and find a nice big channel locks or vice grips, that's a good idea, stupid k&n! Thank you
if you still cant get that thing out...

drill or punch a hole on that damn filter... insert a long screwdriver and then twist...

sorry for the crappy drawing :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:+1: I have one exactly like that. Works like a charm.

BTW, Who tightened your oil filter so tight that it would not come off?? You should only go hand tight on oil filters.

That would have been yours truly, I tightened with the 17mm socket since you cannot get your hand around it on the six, it sat all winter and I guess an oil filter becomes one with the bike after having not been run for 4 months or so. But yes I do try and just hand tighten them.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
no lucky i got mine from auto zone along with the pliers and the oil filter socket.. f.

i finally got it with the pliers

·
Registered
798 Posts
i tighten a hose clamp around it then hit the bolt with a hammer (actually hit the screwdriver that is resting on the bolt

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I had that problem with the K&N filter and just locked some vice grips on the stripped nut and that worked pretty good and was able to get it off.. but the pliers that i bought would not fit the filters pliers would not go small enough. but I also found that if ya put a hole in the filter it seemed to help to get it off, kinda releases the suction on the filter?? but its a pain in the ass when ya go to do a 10 minn job and ends up taking alot longer..

·
Registered
779 Posts
That would have been yours truly, I tightened with the 17mm socket since you cannot get your hand around it on the six, it sat all winter and I guess an oil filter becomes one with the bike after having not been run for 4 months or so. But yes I do try and just hand tighten them.
Oh I see. That sucks.

"What flthy has joined, let no man separate!" :lol:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had trouble with one on my 954, where the filter imploded somehow lol. So none of my tools would grab, so I did the old hammer and screwdriver trick like mentioned earlier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts