Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece is interested in running at the strip with me. I don't want to start her on a bike that is over powered and see her get hurt. I thought of setting up a Ninja 650R. I thought I'd lower it, stretch it and strap it (even though it probably doesn't need stretched) I hope it will instill confidence and help her in the long run. Plan on keeping the motor stock other than a clutch upgrade. Do you guys know anyone or see anyone ride these bikes at the strip and do you think it would be a good starter bike?

·
Registered
862 Posts
How much riding experience does she have? I would think a properly prepped zx-6r would be a better option. The zx-6r would have a lot more possibility for upgrades as skill increases.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She doesn't have a any seat time on the strip, only seat time is on the dirtbike. She is tall for her age 5'7" but doesn't have her liscense yet and no road time. I thought about a zx6 but it might be a little to much for her starting out. I've done a little research on the ninja 650r and the sv 650 but not much on drag racing them. Only 64-70 hp on the 650's and a little over a 100 for the zx6. I might be able to tone it down enough for her starting out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Never been on a Ninja 650, but my buddy had a SV650 and the low end torque made that quite prone to wheelies. Of course it wasn't strapped, stretched, etc either. Anything she could get some seat time on at this point would help. Having never seen her ride, I would say its your judgement call from here.

A lowered/stretched ZX-6r will not have any wheelie problems w stock gearing. And if the suspension is set up right with a good tire it won't spin off the line, especially since starting out she should leave at idle. The ZX-6 will be trapping a lot more at the big end though, I would guess between 110-120. So thats something to consider.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought if I ran a zx6, stretch, lower and strap it, keep stock gears but set the shift point low where she not running the bike out. Would you suggest doing something different with gearing also to where she isn't flying through the traps Goodwin or do you think just lowereing the shift point will do it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get her a zx10..she will out grow that 6 very quick...then your left with a stretched and lowered snail..ask yousrelf could u control and twin turbo lambo? prolly so or would u want a honda civic...Best thing to do is let her put around on urs for a while to get her used to power/control and wheelies...then turn her loose..

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
here is a pic of my old 04 zx6r lowered/stretched... i will tell you its nothing like more torque and power but i did have alot of good times on my 6r but once i got a chance to ride a liter bike its been no looking back since :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not putting her on a 10 I know that for sure and I want to make sure I can buy her another bike later on. (funeral is not an option) I don't mind having a snail setting in my garage if I can't sell it after she is done with it. I would of been happy with a zx6r or a 650 when I was her age, she's only 15. I hope she's not getting on here and listening to you guys, next thing I know she'll be asking me for a 10r or even worse one of mine.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I'm not putting her on a 10 I know that for sure and I want to make sure I can buy her another bike later on. (funeral is not an option) I don't mind having a snail setting in my garage if I can't sell it after she is done with it. I would of been happy with a zx6r or a 650 when I was her age, she's only 15. I hope she's not getting on here and listening to you guys, next thing I know she'll be asking me for a 10r or even worse one of mine.
You can do Throttle stops on a high HP bike.....I know one of the fastest Teams out on my drag track back in 05 I believe put his daughter on a 2003 Suk stretched modified...I raced that girl she did like 10.3s I beat his daughter but the Father said she had Throttle stops....maybe that was an excuse :dontknow: but does seem like a good idea. :idea:

bloo

·
Registered
82 Posts
my opinion would be to get her a 6r...

but before you start stretching it out have her run it just lowered and strapped.. once she gets it totally dialed in at that point start to add on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my opinion would be to get her a 6r...

but before you start stretching it out have her run it just lowered and strapped.. once she gets it totally dialed in at that point start to add on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Starting out on a stretched bike like that may instill to much confidence and when she goes to a swb bike could cause problems imo. Throttle stops swb stock height and slowly allow more throttle as the weeks go on imo. Maybe lower it but still swb.

I guess im a little confused as to why starting riding at the strip, that could be dangerous. Why not take her to a parking lot or something let her get comfortable before going to the strip.

She may be able to get a learners permit and ride with you on the street aswell with said modifications before ofcourse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnn999 She knows how to ride, been riding dirt bikes and four wheelers for years just no road time. She's turning 15, May 5th and doesn't have her license but once she does she's wanting to take the motorcycle coarse. After that she'll be riding with us as much as she wants. She doesn't have a problem letting the guts hang out of her dirt bike when we race them so I'm not worried about her not knowing the concept. I know there is a big difference between a 250 dirtbike and a zx10, and racing dirtbikes and drag racing. Just want to break her in easy and if she interested in going faster later on we'll deal with it then.

·
Registered
779 Posts
There a 17 yr old grudge racer out here, that started on a ninja 250. He rode the 250 for a season, then a 08 busa with extensions for another season, now hes on a full blown nitrous busa. It dont matter how slow you are just learn the fundamentals and how to race. I started drag racing in 93 in a jr dragster that went 22's @19 mph in the 1/8mi, I starting my bike racing on a 92 ZX7.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
just sayin, at my local track there is a husband and wife that come out to race. He rides a decked out Busa for the strip. She has, I think 04, Ninja 250. Just sayin its an option. That or the 6R. Let her start out slow on it and shell be able to move on up with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts