Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
cut down a KYB SSS travel indicator to fit the smaller fork

I am going to use these non-Brembo ZX14 310mm rotors. These were billed as Brembo but reconciliation was achieved and these will be fine.

Getting ready to pull the head. The intake valves are all dirty. This is a good sign. Nothing keeps valves cleaner than lots of WOT use!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm going to try 106-106 with these cams (08-10 OEM intake, 04-05 OEM exhaust). I'm going to see just how much I can shave off of the head using kit headgasket and these numbers. I have a very nifty Competition CNC bucket depressor tool to test PTV. These valves will clean up nicely after a nice soak in some carb cleaner.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had intended to use a superbike tail section with this but I've decided to use this cut-down OEM subframe to aid side panel mounting. I had this nice luimoto seat left over from a project.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Here's a weight comparison between the two calipers. The difference is no doubt greater once full of fluid since the piston sizes are so different. The brackets are about the same.

The Brembo is in between however its bracket is a bit heavier and it too holds more fluid when in use.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Head off, surprisingly little carbon build up the crowns. Easy cleanup.

No broken retainers. I gave the valves a quick check prior to removal and they were all in spec.

What's a vintage Kawi without some Muzzy?

intake valve soup, the carbon should slough right off

highly advanced bucket/shim cataloging for reassembly!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The machine shop is replacing all of the valve seals and milling the head .010". I won't be doing anything with the ports. This should be a very fresh motor once reassembled.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Slight change of plans, I'm going to run Highsider's old stainless Akra system with a TBD can. I'll save the Ti for future use. The stainless weight disadvantage will be acceptable considering it has better heat retention characteristics. I may have this cerakoted similarly to the stainless Termignoni system for the Ducati.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts