Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a G1 streetfighter build using a fairly clean 05 with 12k miles. I'll be using a hodgepodge of parts I have left over from my other builds and should end up with a very tidy product. The parts bin bits involved are:
G4/5 superbike tail
Full Ti Akra exhaust
G3 intake cam
.45 head gasket
Factory pro stacks
ZX14R Brembo rotors/Nissin calipers/Forged Nissin 19mm MC
G3 swingarm
etc.
There will also be a bevy of maintenance items to address (leaking valve cover, bad fork seal, et.).
I quickly discovered the tank was rotted out from the inside and I have sourced a G2 item to replace it

Here's the hulk after taking it around the block a few times after getting it running to verify the trans is healthy

I've started the tear down/soak/rebuild of some spare ZX14 calipers I had on hand

I have some nifty bits being built/enroute. I have cognito moto cutting a custom top clamp to accept conventional bars. I had looked at the ABM setup however I won't be using a key switch on this and wanted a cleaner look:

I'll also be using their riser and a motoscope to replace the OEM cluster to further simplify the wiring and looks

and for a headlight I'm going with the LSL urban unit

I won't be doing any tricky-ricky suspension work with this build aside from a respring/revalve/SKF rebuild. This is intended to be a pure hooligan bike with as close to 180hp as I can coax out of it without splitting the cases.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm not into streetfighters, but this looks like a really interesting blend of parts - look forward to the finished (are they ever finished ?) result.

Have fun !
Brian

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not into streetfighters, but this looks like a really interesting blend of parts - look forward to the finished (are they ever finished ?) result.

Have fun !
Brian
To be perfectly honest, I'm not either. Most builds are cobbled together messes with a rat's nest of wires tucked partially out of view. I'm going to be doing this right with an eye to revise rather that cut corners.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That’s one of my favorite parts of the build process.

Is that a ZX12R in the back? Gorgeous!

I will be selling all my green OEM fairings and lights if you or anyone you know is interested. Going track only on that one too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stripped and polished my '09 arm

It will get new bearings shortly.
Calipers rebuilt with new seals and EPFAHH pads

Suspension off for rebuild, respring, and valving adjustment. These forks have very little travel and I need to do some final measuring and decision making on the rear end. The shock valving is very sensitive to wheelbase and which rocker I elect to use.

Added a 2016 ZX6R hugger to the arm

I used the OEM hugger bolt for a brake line retainer

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be using this Magical Racing fender. I had it earmarked for a different project but I think it will fit the theme of this bike nicely

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the forks back. We opted for softer overall valving, slightly lower fork oil level, and shimming the top-out springs. We didn't need to touch the spring rate. These mods will hopefully keep the frame alive while landing some inevitable wheelies. We are still playing with the shock shim stack and waiting on a gold valve kit to arrive. I just need to begin the unenviable task of repainting the doo doo brown fork lowers to something more sensible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm also going to be swapping to this later model ZX6R/ZX10R rear caliper vis an axle tube spacer and machining the mounting surface down 5mm. I'm also going to attempt some garage artistry and grind off/reshape the ABS sensor mount. I have a few extra brembo calipers and a ladybird bracket but since I won't be swapping to aftermarket wheels with this bike this is the lightest rear caliper option. It's about 400g lighter than the OEM, 2 piston caliper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm waiting on some swingarm bearings and some other bits for it to arrive prior to gaining some momentum. I hate to start tearing into something supported by the notoriously weak OEM cast footpegs. I actually have a set of 1" drop pegs on hand to replace these once the bike is back on its spools. I added a set of G2 heelguards I had one hand.

I pieced together a damper out of some remaining G3 parts and a spare damper I had rebuilt last fall

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a set of M8 Rizoma spools, a Woodcraft shark fin, and some Dimotiv (?) axle adjusters in the spare parts pile that made this swingarm pretty damn handsome. The income carbon 6R hugger will top it off.

Now, this is the Ti Akra pipe I'll be using. I wrecked it years ago and at that time it was cheaper to replace with a good, used system than replace the mid pipe. I sent it in to Pacific Coast Pipe Repair and they were able to weld up the hole on the inside from the swingarm linkage and pull the dent out but the road rash remains. I'm going to look at sourcing a carbon heat shield to cover it. The system is otherwise damage free.

Now turning to the cooling system. I had a leftover Nihilo reservoir that I will mount to the side of the radiator. I played around with a few different options but this seems to work best. I need to finalize it with some better saddles and zip ties!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
+1 for Pacific Coast Pipe repair. They made one of my Muzzy Ti mid-pipes look like new.
He has fixed a bunch of 2 stroke chambers for me over the years. He was reluctant to attempt polishing the scratches out of this pipe in fear it would crack/shatter the next time it met pavement.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts