Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a thread about tuning our motorcycles...In my opinion street tune is much better as you can never simulate the actual riding conditions on a dyno. You don't get the same load nor the same wind velocity.....Yes I know you wont get a dynosheet saying you have this much hp printed on a page so you can show all your friends as that is why I think people like dyno tuning so much..

What do yall like better?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Your ram air isn't actually ram air until 100+ mph. Do you do 100+ mph stop light to stop light? Me neither. You will never have a perfect tune unles you have a closed loop system.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I tune using a WEGO III & PCIII at the drag strip. It does mean that for the most part, the only part that is accurately tuned is 100% throttle, which is fine by me since I very rarely drive on the street and soon will not drive on the street at all. It is easier for me, because if I make changes I do not have to drag it to a tuner and pay more money.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I tuned using an ordinary air/fuel gauge for riding on the street at part throttle and lower revs, and at the drag strip for full throttle. Haven't seen a dyno.

I got the part load and lower revs section of the map close on the street first, then I did a dragstrip pass with a video camera watching both the speedo/tach and the air/fuel gauge, shortshifted to 3rd gear and let it pull all the way through at full throttle, then went back and analyzed the videotape. Haven't been back to the track to test the outcome of that analysis, though ... that'll have to wait until next year, at this point.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1killer thank you for trying to be a smart a$$.......And i dont know how you are when you ride hard but i'm over 100 mph.....Maybe your shooting for the slowest time at the strip then I guess you wouldn't need the affect of ram air.....I dont tune my bike for fuel economy , I tune it for me to reach a high rate of speed faster than stock.....So ram air for me is a vital factor in my tuning process.....Plus I never said perfect tune I said I feel street tuning is better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I figured I would start a thread about tuning our motorcycles...In my opinion street tune is much better as you can never simulate the actual riding conditions on a dyno. You don't get the same load nor the same wind velocity.....Yes I know you wont get a dynosheet saying you have this much hp printed on a page so you can show all your friends as that is why I think people like dyno tuning so much..

What do yall like better?
I agree. I have a guy here locally who tunes my truck. He plugs into the diagnostic port and then has me drive around doing combinations of throttle positions and accelerations, all the while logging this data on a laptop. Then has me pull over, kill the ignition and he flashes the ECU, and repeat maybe 2 or 3 more times. I wish bikes had a diagnostic port for this ease of use, I guess the closest thing would be an autotune but that still doesnt do anything for timing:sad:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see wego III is a popular device for tuning is there something about it that makes it better than the other dataloggers out there???

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I see wego III is a popular device for tuning is there something about it that makes it better than the other dataloggers out there???
Only have experience with the WEGO III. I wish it had expandable memory, but on the bright side the software is very easy to use.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
1killer thank you for trying to be a smart a$$.......And i dont know how you are when you ride hard but i'm over 100 mph.....Maybe your shooting for the slowest time at the strip then I guess you wouldn't need the affect of ram air.....I dont tune my bike for fuel economy , I tune it for me to reach a high rate of speed faster than stock.....So ram air for me is a vital factor in my tuning process.....Plus I never said perfect tune I said I feel street tuning is better.
:thumbsup: This guy has me ALL figured out. So you don't ride on the street? See, I do. And I know you don't drag race nobody from stop light to stop light and if you do, you look like a ricer moron. Somebody that has something to prove, but nobody to prove it too. My bike runs just fine on the street and on the strip. Best mph at the strip is 161. Guess thats pretty slow.:dontknow:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I tuned using an ordinary air/fuel gauge for riding on the street at part throttle and lower revs, and at the drag strip for full throttle. Haven't seen a dyno.

I got the part load and lower revs section of the map close on the street first, then I did a dragstrip pass with a video camera watching both the speedo/tach and the air/fuel gauge, shortshifted to 3rd gear and let it pull all the way through at full throttle, then went back and analyzed the videotape. Haven't been back to the track to test the outcome of that analysis, though ... that'll have to wait until next year, at this point.
The A/F ratio is more important than anything i think, i have had my bike dyno tuned twice and both times i have went back to maps i altered myself. i have probably tuned hundreds of bikes here locally and at the strip and seem to be half ass decnt at it cause people keep asking and paying for me to do it, just get a "sniffer" to drop in the canister and start tuning. i do most of mine with the bike parked up on the rear stand and running and then try to fine tune it with a few street runs. it hadn't failed me yet. on the street we probably spend ALOT less time at full or anywhere close to full throttle than we'd think so i don't tune for that when i do my street maps unless asked to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts