Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a little night time jaunt on the 10R heading to a deserted stretch of road off the beaten path. At a light before entering said road a Ducati 999S (I was to find out later) pulled alongside and starting revving. I did not rev back both because I think it is stupid plus the stock can does not sound very intimidating.

The light went green and he took off like a bullet. My maturity went out the window and I nailed it like I have never done before. By the time I hit second gear somewhere around 90mph according to the speedo, I was right on his tail. I shifted into second and opened it up full to accelerate straight past him (boy do those Ducs sound nice).

I stopped looking at my speedo after I saw 145mph. By that time I was well ahead of him and approaching a stop sign.

We both pulled over to the side of the road and admired each other's bikes. He said that he thought it was a 636 (all of my stickers are removed) and was shocked when I passed him. He was pretty cool and parted after shaking hands.

Some things I learned:

1. Maybe my Scotts damper made a difference in high speed handling, maybe not, but it did wonders for my confidence.
2. Above 100mph the stock windscreen is insufficient protection. It felt as though someone was peeling me off the bike by the scruff of my neck. Looks like a DB is in order.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
SacCityZ said:
I was out for a little night time jaunt on the 10R heading to a deserted stretch of road off the beaten path. At a light before entering said road a Ducati 999S (I was to find out later) pulled alongside and starting revving. I did not rev back both because I think it is stupid plus the stock can does not sound very intimidating.

The light went green and he took off like a bullet. My maturity went out the window and I nailed it like I have never done before. By the time I hit second gear somewhere around 90mph according to the speedo, I was right on his tail. I shifted into second and opened it up full to accelerate straight past him (boy do those Ducs sound nice).

I stopped looking at my speedo after I saw 145mph. By that time I was well ahead of him and approaching a stop sign.

We both pulled over to the side of the road and admired each other's bikes. He said that he thought it was a 636 (all of my stickers are removed) and was shocked when I passed him. He was pretty cool and parted after shaking hands.

Some things I learned:

1. Maybe my Scotts damper made a difference in high speed handling, maybe not, but it did wonders for my confidence.
2. Above 100mph the stock windscreen is insufficient protection. It felt as though someone was peeling me off the bike by the scruff of my neck. Looks like a DB is in order.
You missed point number 3.
3. The 10R kicks serious italian ass!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
nice... the Duc is definitely no match for the 10R. About a week ago I went riding with a guy on a race replica 999, one on an Aprilia Factory R, and one on a GXSR750. I stayed right with the Duc and Aprilia, and wasn't even trying... the 750 was a tiny speck in my mirrors....

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
A good running 999S will make about 125 - 130 rwhp, so it should be a pretty easy race for you. Shame on him for trying to pick on a little 600. Good job. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
571 Posts
you shouldn't pick on poor little, overpriced italian bikes like that. :oops:
You might hurt somebody's feelings.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know he was overpowered by the 10. But it felt really good to tell my buddy about it. He is always talking about how superior Ducati is to the Japanese bikes. Some people just don't understand...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
SacCityZ said:
I know he was overpowered by the 10. But it felt really good to tell my buddy about it. He is always talking about how superior Ducati is to the Japanese bikes. Some people just don't understand...
They are beatifuly crafted machines that perform and look really nice. Every bike is it own animal. The ZX10R is a beast and very fast but every bike is fun and has its own qualities.

·
Registered
571 Posts
SacCityZ said:
Your buddy is just a victim of good marketing, he should read the article "branded" in the new motorcyclist. If he still disagrees with me after, he is in denial. I have dumb asses ask me all the time if I ride a Ducati, they don't know any better. They just see all the bling on MTV hip-hop videos and that's where their naive weak minds go. UGH! Don't get me started.... :roll:

·
Registered
581 Posts
SaC-
When you say you are stickerless are you just meaning the ninja stickers and the zx-10r stickers on teh tail? I too am stickerless besides the kawasaki sticker on my tank. Mine is also black :cool:

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I have all the sticks on my bike removed also, except th Kawasaki, of course. Anyway thr Ducs arent all bad but for all out speed there no match for us. However, I had a hell of a time chasing a uy on a new 999 up Palomar two weeks ago, those bikes can handle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts