Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

So couple of weeks ago, on a one sunny day I went for a ride outside the city and noticed strange vibrations that went up to the clipons and levers. Back then I thought it was a dead ignition spark, since it was just the time to change them and I had an appointment at the service 3 days later. As it turned out, the spark was dead indeed.

1585550836021.png

However, after changing sparks, oil, filters, coolant and all that stuff the vibrations didn't go away.
I didn't replace the tires, but did replace the braking rotors, but then again, vibrations were there before the change. Nothing similar was experienced last year. No PCV of similar useless components.

So here's the place where I need your help. I have several thoughts on this:
1. The vibration happens when I take off and hit the range near 5-6k RPM
2. If I rev higher, it seem to fade, but when the engine breaking happens here it is right away
3. I started missing rev matching (doing so for 6 years already, so forbidden hobby excluded), this might be caused 2 reasons: chain slack or the clutch.
4. For vibration this much, to get to the clip ons, there should be sufficient mass of something to create it

To conclude, I suspect the clutch basket or the engine bolts to be not tight enough.

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If someone is interested, this is not the clutch basket. Continue to investigate. There are still 2 things to check:
1. Bolts
2. Balancing shaft

Hopefully this is caused by bolts :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you have vibrations when reving in neutral gear? And rear lifted going through gears?

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have vibrations when reving in neutral gear? And rear lifted going through gears?
Unfortunately have no possibility to lift the rear right now. On neutral vibrations seem to fade also.

The bike is rideble though, so it runs fine thru the gears

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPD: tightened all the frame bolts. Didn't fully solve the issue. Still having vibrations on rearsets and clipons, but less.

On Monday will inspect the balancing shaft.

The only idea left - i'm freaking the bike out ?‍♂

·
The Pace
6,986 Posts
Are you the original owner. Provide all history starting with mileage; number of owners, then end with any changes from Kawa specs that you can articulate.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you the original owner. Provide all history starting with mileage; number of owners, then end with any changes from Kawa specs that you can articulate.
I am not. Bike was bought from the US. It has 56k km on the clock now and had 16.5k back then when I bought it, ECU flushed, 3/4 Yoshi R77. Apart from that all stock. The maintenance was done mostly by myself except teh valves clearance.

Thinking it's the cam chain tensioner either didn't click the notch, either died himself. Will be sorting out tomorrow.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPD: the cam tensioner is fine, the notch didn't clicked because there's nowhere yet (but almost there). Spring is working ok and I should prolly wait for it to click.

However, even doing the hardcore manual +1 notch it didn't solve the vibrations. Put it back to previous position not to have abnormal wear of the chain damper.

Vibration itself is highly sensitive while engine braking. I've run out of ideas for now.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi lads! It's been a while.

I was finally able to figure out the issue. The thing is... body position, duh!

So, last Sunday I drove it out of the city to self isolate myself on a sea side, and noticed that vibrations were there only while riding on the streets, and none outside the city. Then doing some brainstorming I understood, that on the street I'm sitting more aggressively, meaning not sitting on the butt 100%, but more standing on a footpegs, and closer to the tank. When outside, I'm relaxed and just chilling on the seat, cuz I don't need to steer it a lot, it's just straight ahead road with no twisties. Double checked my thoughts and voila, case solved.

Not without benefits, I also changed my wheel bearings both front and rear, as the service guys noticed abnormal slack. They were not dead, but it's better to do it, then not.

Holding a Masters Degree in Bike Freakout.

@SkyDork thanks again for your help! Really appreciate, mate!

Happy face behind the helmet :) IMG_4068.JPG

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,014 Posts
Hi lads! It's been a while.

I was finally able to figure out the issue. The thing is... body position, duh!

So, last Sunday I drove it out of the city to self isolate myself on a sea side, and noticed that vibrations were there only while riding on the streets, and none outside the city. Then doing some brainstorming I understood, that on the street I'm sitting more aggressively, meaning not sitting on the butt 100%, but more standing on a footpegs, and closer to the tank. When outside, I'm relaxed and just chilling on the seat, cuz I don't need to steer it a lot, it's just straight ahead road with no twisties. Double checked my thoughts and voila, case solved.

Not without benefits, I also changed my wheel bearings both front and rear, as the service guys noticed abnormal slack. They were not dead, but it's better to do it, then not.

Holding a Masters Degree in Bike Freakout.

@SkyDork thanks again for your help! Really appreciate, mate!

Happy face behind the helmet :) View attachment 444554
Glad you got it sorted out! It's a bit strange that body position was causing the issues. I'm wondering if you're holding the clip-ons too tightly in that aggressive position which is transferring the vibrations up there? That's more of just thinking out loud as opposed to answering that here. Whatever it was, glad you're happy with it again and it's all good! Ride on!

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you got it sorted out! It's a bit strange that body position was causing the issues. I'm wondering if you're holding the clip-ons too tightly in that aggressive position which is transferring the vibrations up there? That's more of just thinking out loud as opposed to answering that here. Whatever it was, glad you're happy with it again and it's all good! Ride on!
That was also my thought. However, sad but true, I was not sitting right until I get to the track, and even there it took me about a year to get it more or less correct. And on the track I was focused on the lines, braking points, body position and didn't focus on the vibrations if they were there. But this year, after the winter break, there was no speed, no braking points and the feelings got me there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts