Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally got both me and the 10 healed up after my mishap at Jennings Gp last month (http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1112987#post1112987). went out to ride it and found that while ride able, it still has two issues that went unseen during repairs. First the left clip on is bent down just enough that it hits the tank if i try and lock the steering. Thats an easy enough fix so im not concerned, but the next one has me out of ideas. When I go to change the brightness of the dashboard to dimmer for night riding the, the bike completely turns off. Not just the engine, everything electronically as well. To make things weirder, If i try this while the bike is in neutral or stopped, nothing happens. Obviously its something in the electrical systems, but where? I get mechanics, Im good at mechanics, but beyond splicing wires, electronics are a different world to me.
Any thoughts?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
perhaps your ecu is jacked and grounding out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
lol the lighting doesnt go through the ecu... E-ngine C-ontrol U-nit, grab the wiring diagram and check it out, i dont have an 08 so i dont know about the dimmer. Check your fuses you could have one out. The switch itself was it through the crash? To dim you need a resistor that could also be out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont know much about these bikes yet but I do know cars so I do quite a bit or wiring diagnosis. There is deffinately a short to ground somewhere and it seems to be in the part of the harness close to your cluster and handle bars. I would start where the harnesses meet from the cluster and front controls. Check the fuses as well see if anything is blown. Time to trace some wires, good luck I hope this helps

·
Registered
781 Posts
I dont know much about these bikes yet but I do know cars so I do quite a bit or wiring diagnosis. There is deffinately a short to ground somewhere and it seems to be in the part of the harness close to your cluster and handle bars. I would start where the harnesses meet from the cluster and front controls. Check the fuses as well see if anything is blown. Time to trace some wires, good luck I hope this helps
If there was a short to ground dont you think the back light would be out in general as it receives no power? Dimmers work w/ a inline resistor. or am i mistaken?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts