Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Gen2 last week with 10,500 miles on it. Never rode it until this weekend. The only problem with the bike is a weird grinding noise. I have my fingers crossed that the grinding noise is just worn chain and sprockets. The chain and sprockets shown signs of heavy wear and the chain is not the original chain.
OK, here is what the bike is doing. Starting from a stop, there is a distinct noise pattern; "grind, grind, silence", "grind, grind, silence", "grind, grind, silence"... As I go faster in 1st gear, the grinding pattern speeds up. At 35mph it is the loudest.
Now this is where the unexpected happens. As I shift gears, I would expect the "grind, grind, silence" pattern to get even faster; since the chain is spinning faster. Nope, the pattern slows down, with the corresponding slower engine RPM. At 65 mph in 6th gear the "grind, grind, silence" pattern is exactly the same as 1st gear at 35 mph...
This noise is very loud, and I can hear it all the way up to 80mph, then wind buffeting overcomes the grinding noise.
The next clue to the noise is this. The noise only happens at steady state power, or under acceleration. Decelerate and the noise completely disappears. Pull the clutch in and the noise completely disappears. At higher speeds it almost sounds like a worn transmission bearing under high load. In addition to the "grind, grind, silence" pattern I also hear a loud gear whine.
I loosened the chain between rides, and lubed it like crazy. The noise went down just a little.
Any ideas? The reason I ask, if it is just a chain, I will replace the chain and sprockets. If it is some type of bearing letting go inside the engine/transmission, the bike is up for sale ASAP. I already paid too much for the bike and I know things get expensive once you go inside the motor.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion on what this noise might be.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If the chain and sprockets are showing "heavy wear", then replace them and go from there. If the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in, then I doubt it's youre sprockets or chain b/c the noise would likely continue if those were making noise.

Also, post a picture of this bike with the VIN so no poor soul here inadvertently buys it in case you post it for sale.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
Based on the fact that the noise changes pattern when you shift gears, it's most likely internal to the motor. Is the noise most prominent on the left or right side?

Doubtful it is the chain and sprockets. They wouldn't make that loud of a noise

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Check the ignition key tumbler. It was notorious on the 2nd gen to make noises. There's a fix if thats your problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on the fact that the noise changes pattern when you shift gears, it's most likely internal to the motor. Is the noise most prominent on the left or right side?

Doubtful it is the chain and sprockets. They wouldn't make that loud of a noise
The sound comes from the left, near the front sprocket. Tomorrow I will ride it with the GoPro and see if it picks up the sound well enough for someone give a well educated guess as to what the noise is.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The sound comes from the left, near the front sprocket. Tomorrow I will ride it with the GoPro and see if it picks up the sound well enough for someone give a well educated guess as to what the noise is.
What size chain are you using?....If 520 I will say stop chasing the dog tail replace your sprockets and chain and report back.....I go through this almost on a yearly basis start hearing the noise and grinding and it's oh Sh*t the sprocket and chains are done again. :badteeth: :helmet:

Bloo

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size chain are you using?....If 520 I will say stop chasing the dog tail replace your sprockets and chain and report back.....I go through this almost on a yearly basis start hearing the noise and grinding and it's oh Sh*t the sprocket and chains are done again. :badteeth: :helmet:

Bloo
Order placed for new chain and sprockets with Revzilla!
I feel stupid for posting now:BangHead:
I arraigned for my local shop to test ride the bike today to see if it was the chain, or transmission. On the way there I was shocked, the noise was almost all gone.
Saturday was the first time I rode the bike, the sound was really loud. Sunday morning I loosened the chain a little, cleaned the crap out of it, and lubricated it like it would never get lubed again. On the start of our 300 mile Sunday ride I could still hear the noise, but it was not as bad. The last half of our trip we averaged 90 to 100 mph. When we slowed down, my ears were ringing so much I didn't notice the noise had gone away. I guess a good cleaning, lub, and 300 mile ride took the kinks out of the chain.:thumbsup:

In the mean time, here are some pictures from Sunday's ride into the Everglades. :eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

Bloo
Order placed for new chain and sprockets with Revzilla!
I feel stupid for posting now:BangHead:
I arraigned for my local shop to test ride the bike today to see if it was the chain, or transmission. On the way there I was shocked, the noise was almost all gone.
Saturday was the first time I rode the bike, the sound was really loud. Sunday morning I loosened the chain a little, cleaned the crap out of it, and lubricated it like it would never get lubed again. On the start of our 300 mile Sunday ride I could still hear the noise, but it was not as bad. The last half of our trip we averaged 90 to 100 mph. When we slowed down, my ears were ringing so much I didn't notice the noise had gone away. I guess a good cleaning, lub, and 300 mile ride took the kinks out of the chain.:thumbsup:

In the mean time, here are some pictures from Sunday's ride into the Everglades. :eek:ccasion1
Glad it worked out for you replacing chains and sprockets is much easier than engine problems :eek:ccasion1

PS:....Going to move this thread to the Performance and Tech Section as that is what this Tread Relates to. ...bloo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts