Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 motor that I have for sale. If it is going to sit for awhile is there some sort of oil I should use to preserve it or any other Ideas? I just don't want to sell it and some guy get it and its all mess up on the inside because I drained the oil and should have done something about it

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I know that on some seasonal vehicles (ie- boats and snowmobiles) there is a type of fogging oil than can be sprayed in the cylinders to keep the rings from seizing to the cylinder wall. If you can find a way to turn it by hand I would definitely do that every week or so. The last thing I could think of would be to just put some fresh oil in the bottom end and pour a small amount down all the spark plug holes into the cylinders. The main thing is to just keep turning the motor over though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My suggestion would be go to your local sporting goods store and buy some Rem oil as in Remington gun oil. You can get it in a small rattle type can, it' s a very light gun oil. Remove the plugs, fog the cylinders and put the plugs back in. Once the motor is put back in a bike and fires up it will burn off in seconds. As far as the rest of the internals, it should be fine it's already had oil in it so there will still be a coating on everything. Cover it with plastic and forget about it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Send that baby my way, I got plenty o storage space. free...
Is that storage space located under a gas tank and between a frame?

·
Registered
149 Posts
you can turn the motor over with it off the bike ..... just pull the crank cover off and grab a socket and an impact and spin it over

·
Registered
346 Posts
you can turn the motor over with it off the bike ..... just pull the crank cover off and grab a socket and an impact and spin it over
Hey man, dude's from "Niceville", don't tell him to turn his engine over with an impact gun.
You could (somebody will) end-up buyin that bitch...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was being for real !
I was messin with a high rpm weed-eater engine that a friend brought over for a piston and ring job.
He didnt tell me that he had been starting the engine by running a 3/8 impact gun on the crank. Long story short, the bottom end bearings and big end bearing were destroyed.
I'm guessing that it would take a 3/4, or 1" impact gun to roll a zx motor, completely destroying the bearings in the process.
I have a 1" "earthquake" impact gun that delivers about 1500lbs of torque, if you dont mind I dont mind running it on your race motor. But you can kiss your bearings goodbye.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I was messin with a high rpm weed-eater engine that a friend brought over for a piston and ring job.
He didnt tell me that he had been starting the engine by running a 3/8 impact gun on the crank. Long story short, the bottom end bearings and big end bearing were destroyed.
I'm guessing that it would take a 3/4, or 1" impact gun to roll a zx motor, completely destroying the bearings in the process.
I have a 1" "earthquake" impact gun that delivers about 1500lbs of torque, if you dont mind I dont mind running it on your race motor. But you can kiss your bearings goodbye.
That's a good point, I would probably turn it over by hand or with a drill... impact may have too much of an "impact".

har har har.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts