Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of stomp pads through for my 06 ZX10R, are there any tips you guys may have for getting them on good?

Read somewhere about warming the tank with a hair drier makes them stick better :dontknow:

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Heat from a hair dryer or heat gun can help to slightly stretch the vinyl on compound curves or surface irregularities. It maybe necessary to check edges for adhesion for the first day or two. Use a hair dryer or heat gun as necessary and rub down the edges with your finger as you heat it.

As stated above, make sure the surface is very clean. Use GooGone first and then rinse/wipe it down with rubbing alcohol for a good surface.

I've seen it done 2 ways when they are applied...apply them straight to the tank if you have a steady hand and know what your doing, if not, then you might want to do it the way people apply vinyl graphics so you can make sure you get them placed correctly. Problem is with the "volcano bumps" and getting out all of the air bubbles. I'm sure you'll get some more responses from people who are using them on their bikes.

If you decide to do it the way you install graphics....here you go.

Fill your spray bottle with water (preferably distilled) and add a few drops of dish soap. (do not use too much soap) Clean the surface of the vehicle where the graphics will be placed. Alcohol works great. Pre-fit the stomp pads to know how it will fit and where you want to place it. You can mark where the graphic will go with tape to aid in proper placement of the grip pads. Using the soapy water solution thoroughly wet down the area of the bike that the pads will be applied. Peel the backing paper off the pads as you spray the sticky side with the soapy solution. Place the pad on the tank making sure that there is still plenty of the soapy water solution on the bike and the sticky side of the pad.

Here is where it gets hard because of the "volcano bumps". Makes the squeegee part a pain in the ass.

Squeegee the water out by using strokes from the center to the outside of the stomp pad. Take your time and do a thorough job. Time taken here will show in the end. Let it sit for a few minutes... Now take the time to squeegee out and more bubbles. You can use the hair dryer or heat gun to help work out any bubbles. This will also help cure the graphic don't use too much heat. Any remaining bubbles can be popped with a pin or X-acto knife.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
brian0128 said:
Heat from a hair dryer or heat gun can help to slightly stretch the vinyl on compound curves or surface irregularities. It maybe necessary to check edges for adhesion for the first day or two. Use a hair dryer or heat gun as necessary and rub down the edges with your finger as you heat it.

As stated above, make sure the surface is very clean. Use GooGone first and then rinse/wipe it down with rubbing alcohol for a good surface.

I've seen it done 2 ways when they are applied...apply them straight to the tank if you have a steady hand and know what your doing, if not, then you might want to do it the way people apply vinyl graphics so you can make sure you get them placed correctly. Problem is with the "volcano bumps" and getting out all of the air bubbles. I'm sure you'll get some more responses from people who are using them on their bikes.

Fill your spray bottle with water (preferably distilled) and add a few drops of dish soap. (do not use too much soap) Clean the surface of the vehicle where the graphics will be placed. Alcohol works great. Pre-fit the stomp pads to know how it will fit and where you want to place it. You can mark where the graphic will go with tape to aid in proper placement of the grip pads. Using the soapy water solution thoroughly wet down the area of the bike that the pads will be applied. Peel the backing paper off the pads as you spray the sticky side with the soapy solution. Place the pad on the tank making sure that there is still plenty of the soapy water solution on the bike and the sticky side of the pad.

Here is where it gets hard because of the "volcano bumps". Makes the squeegee part a pain in the ass.

Squeegee the water out by using strokes from the center to the outside of the stomp pad. Take your time and do a thorough job. Time taken here will show in the end. Let it sit for a few minutes... Now take the time to squeegee out and more bubbles. You can use the hair dryer or heat gun to help work out any bubbles. This will also help cure the graphic don't use too much heat. Any remaining bubbles can be popped with a pin or X-acto knife.
:+1:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
brian0128 said:

Do not use heat from air gun. Even though the direction say so I did and a few weeks later they stated to slide down so I eventualy took them off and called stomp grip. I called them and explained what happen and they sent me another set. This time I did not use the heat gun and its been 4 months with no problems.

·
Registered
240 Posts
speaking for myself I did used the hairdryer and its been like 3 months no problem

·
Registered
740 Posts
The only prob I've had with mine are that almost 9 months later the edges are coming up. So I'm gonna buy another set and REALLY clean the tank. Overall I am happy though. Oh and I didn't use any kind of heat to stick mine, just put them on and tried to sqeeze out all the air.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of good info. I am going to have a go tonight with mine.

Not sure what to use to clean the tank with yet, off to the bike store to have a look what they have got. I am not sure about using solvents on the tank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts