Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
I'm about to install some Stomp Grips. Does anyone have any tips before I begin?

Try a search but yes I be patient and clean the surface off well and heat both surfaces off before applying. Also work from one side to the other to help reduce amount of bubbles.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much it, eh?

I did do some searching. What I found was heating the surfaces, and using masking tape to mark the position, so you don't put them on crooked.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any sage-like advice regarding them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Need a blowdryer.

1- Park your bike in the sun and get the tank nice and hot.

2- Wipe down the surface with isopropyl alchohol.

3- With a clean rag remove any film or residue.

4- Align the stomp grip where you want it and mark the position references with small pieces of masking tape.

5- Heat the first pad you are installing with the blow dryer.

6- Peel back the the paper exposing 2" leading edge. Gentley fold the paper back onto itself.

7- Stick the leading edge to the tank using your reference marker.

8- Pressing the knobs top to bottom first then pressing the valleys. If you are doing it right you won't get air bubbles. Press the edges of the pad last.

9- Systematically pull the backing in 2 inch increments as you go. This also keeps the pad from sticking to unwanted object like your shirt, head or arm etc.

10- Once the pad is fully on roll up a towel and press it firmly all over the pad while blowdrying. Pay attention to the edges.

When you are done you should have a clear view of the tank and little or no bubbles. You will get some 'bubbles' but they are just inconsistencies with adhesive and will go away over time as the forces of gravity and translocation cause the adhesive to settle properly. It is a tedious process but the final product will be your reward so have patience. Let it sit for 24 hours and you are ready to enjoy the feeling of being 'pinned' in while hanging off.:cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them on there. It wasn't too bad at all. My thumb is a little tired from pressing. :thumbsup:

How important is the 24 hour wait period? I was going to ride it to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got them on there. It wasn't too bad at all. My thumb is a little tired from pressing. :thumbsup:

How important is the 24 hour wait period? I was going to ride it to work tomorrow.
I feel ya man those nubs are painful after awhile. The 24 hours is for the adhesive to setup. The bond gets progressively stronger as time goes by. Unless you are planning on dragging a knee on the way to work they should be fine by morning.:cool:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I have it on the leading edge of my fairings to, you have to get it warm with a hot air blower to get it to go round curves ,but once it does it stays there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My nicely aligned stomp grips really accentuate the fact that my tank pad is a little off center. I guess one of these days I'll have to get a new one. :headshake

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far, I just made a few laps between home & work, and I like them! You really stick to the bike. For street use, it really makes it easy to keep your weight off your hands. Previously, I was having trouble sliding around on the tank.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
cut off the first row or 2 of nubs (towards you) to help keep them from lifting the edges as you move around.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ride almost everyday to work in jeans and hit the twisties almost every weekend in full leathers.
I also do a track day every other month.

Im thinking of getting the stomp grips.

Are they really that bad when you're wearing jeans?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, not bad at all. I like them just fine in jeans. I did have to replace my tank pad with a properly centered one, though. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Need a blowdryer.

1- Park your bike in the sun and get the tank nice and hot.

2- Wipe down the surface with isopropyl alchohol.

3- With a clean rag remove any film or residue.

4- Align the stomp grip where you want it and mark the position references with small pieces of masking tape.

5- Heat the first pad you are installing with the blow dryer.

6- Peel back the the paper exposing 2" leading edge. Gentley fold the paper back onto itself.

7- Stick the leading edge to the tank using your reference marker.

8- Pressing the knobs top to bottom first then pressing the valleys. If you are doing it right you won't get air bubbles. Press the edges of the pad last.

9- Systematically pull the backing in 2 inch increments as you go. This also keeps the pad from sticking to unwanted object like your shirt, head or arm etc.

10- Once the pad is fully on roll up a towel and press it firmly all over the pad while blowdrying. Pay attention to the edges.

When you are done you should have a clear view of the tank and little or no bubbles. You will get some 'bubbles' but they are just inconsistencies with adhesive and will go away over time as the forces of gravity and translocation cause the adhesive to settle properly. It is a tedious process but the final product will be your reward so have patience. Let it sit for 24 hours and you are ready to enjoy the feeling of being 'pinned' in while hanging off.:cool:
I used Acrysol o clean the tank of all the wax also heated tank with hairdryer went on with no problems. I went with the Black Stomp grip this winter when it just came out instead of clear as it shows no bubbles about 40.00 & I love it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts