Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Should bike theives be more severely punished?

• No, the laws are appropritate for the crime.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes, they should be stricter.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • We should go Old West on their asses and hang em' high.

Votes: 39 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some old posts and a lot of us have had bikes stolen.

I think the laws are too lax in regards to penaliziling bike theives.

What do you guys think an appropriate punishment would be?

·
Registered
123 Posts
make them ride a honda around town :)

Should be grand theft.. depending on the state that can put you in jail for a LONG time.. And of course if they had the money which they dont or they would not be stealing our bikes the make them pay for a new one.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i dont think the penalties are to lax, i think its to ahrd to catch bike theifs. how often do stolen motorcycles get recovered in one piece? usually by the time the are found they've been wrecked or taken apart. I know the bikes that have been stolen around here are usually found in sacramento two hours away. kinda hard to prosocute if you dont find the bikes in someones garage, or pull the guy over while he's riding it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Florida. They now have a law where you get 10 years, then 20, then life if you commit a serious felony while in posession of a gun. After that law passed there was about a 30 percent drop in crimes committed with guns.

If the laws were stricter, there could be a significant reduction in bike thefts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
here is an Idea..... not a good one but an idea :lol:

If they started making the "lojack" system afforable for the bikes then we could just get that. It would take a year or so but when people started getting busted on our bikes I bet there friends would thinks twice about snagging one.. There are not many bikes with any kind of security on them and they are small and light ( compaired to a car) so it makes them an easy target... If they could even put some kind of "lojack" system on the bike from the Factory and we pay what ever it is a month 20$ or something that would help for shooo

·
Registered
373 Posts
here is an Idea..... not a good one but an idea :lol:

If they started making the "lojack" system afforable for the bikes then we could just get that. It would take a year or so but when people started getting busted on our bikes I bet there friends would thinks twice about snagging one.. There are not many bikes with any kind of security on them and they are small and light ( compaired to a car) so it makes them an easy target... If they could even put some kind of "lojack" system on the bike from the Factory and we pay what ever it is a month 20$ or something that would help for shooo

I was going to get lojack for my bike and the dealer told me that if you have lojack and you bike gets stolen and it DOESNT get recovered lojack will refund you the money for the system. i was like WTF im going to put 800 down on my bike payment if someone jacks my bike. Although i did see a article in the shopper that said 9 out of 9 bike in tampa bay the had lojack were recovered. Im down with kicking them in th nuts and hanging them :crackup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts