Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently purchased a 2007 zx10r - all stock, no mods, with the exception of the mufflers. It appears that the previous owner somehow "shortened" the stock mufflers. It looks like they did a pretty clean job - must've removed the end caps, cut off about 4-5 inches, then re-installed the caps. The bike runs and sounds fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this being done - doesn't seem like a very common thing? Can this have a negative effect on the engine's life or performance? This is my first sportbike, so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's very common. People call them "shorty" mufflers and I've frequently seen it done to older style Akrapovics and Yoshimuras. It may be a coincidence, but both of these are known for being relatively quiet aftermarket mufflers.

I'm not sure what it does for power outputs but I did mine just for the aesthetic value.

You're also correct with your analysis. Doing it properly involves drilling out the rivets of an end cap, cutting the entire muffler on a band saw or with a hacksaw and reassembling with or without new fibreglass packing.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Won't effect anything... will change sound some. Not really any performance gains at all. Get a real exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts