Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiousity, couldn't one just buy a stock damper with mounting brackets from the gen 2 and gen 3 and buy the triple clamp to match and install it on the gen 1?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why would you want too? The stock Ohlins Damper off the 06 07 are junk.Most people have had to mod them(do a search "Ohlins steering damper mod").Nothing like the real one's sold by Ohlins. Parts Unlimited # 0414-0106. That's the one I have.They're expensive, but what top of the line dampers/suspension part isn't.
I understand your probably trying to do this on a budget.But your going to get what you pay for in this case

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why would you want too? The stock Ohlins Damper off the 06 07 are junk.Most people have had to mod them(do a search "Ohlins steering damper mod").Nothing like the real one's sold by Ohlins. Parts Unlimited # 0414-0106. That's the one I have.They're expensive, but what top of the line dampers/suspension part isn't.
I understand your probably trying to do this on a budget.But your going to get what you pay for in this case
Well, because 50 dollars for a used Ohlins and have it remodded sounds wayyyyy better than waiting to get the 5 6 hundred dollar damper. Temporary fix of the headshakes until I can afford the good stuff. Having the junk 06-09 damper is still better than having nothing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
First of all it is not a direct bolt on.You have to fab some mounts.Second the mod to repair them isn't that cheap if done right(replacing the needle and seat and oil weight).

Here is one of the better links on a how to.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70186&page=2

Finding a good used aftermarket one might be your best bet.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all it is not a direct bolt on.You have to fab some mounts.Second the mod to repair them isn't that cheap if done right(replacing the needle and seat and oil weight).

Here is one of the better links on a how to.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70186&page=2

Finding a good used aftermarket one might be your best bet.
Well that's why I asked if the gen 2 or gen 3 triple tree would work on the gen 1 and bolt right up. I'm trying to find a deal on a damper.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Any one who knows motorcycles and Ohlins suspension....Well they know Dan Kyle, he converts the factory damper into the race version for $97 dollars. So yea, go buy one for $500 and save your $97......Do a search for dan kyle he's a board member.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think his website is kyleusa.com I maybe mistaken but like I said he is now a member of this forum. It was the best $97 I've ever spent. The techs from Ohlins sent me his contact info and said to use him. I researched him, and he knows his shit.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think his website is kyleusa.com I maybe mistaken but like I said he is now a member of this forum. It was the best $97 I've ever spent. The techs from Ohlins sent me his contact info and said to use him. I researched him, and he knows his shit.
Yeahr, I read through his thread and it appears everyone that has used him is very satisfied with his work.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'll chime in since I have all the Gen 2 related parts sitting in my garage after a failed attempt...

The damper bracket. FITS.

The top triple from a Gen 2 DOES NOT fit.

The placement of the forks of a Gen 2 in comparison to a Gen 1 are about 1/4" further forward in relation to the stem. The only way to get away with putting on a Gen 2 damper on a Gen 1 would be to use the bottom triple along with the top triple.

Here's my parts list + what I paid:

Damper + Tank bracket : $75 (used. bought off the forum)

Top Triple : $45 (used. Ebay)

Top Triple bracket for steering damper: $12 (off the forum)

I see lower triples on Ebay all the time for ~$50 - $80.

The only thing that has got me thinking is the change in geometry of the front suspension.

Here's some useful info:

Gen 1
Rake / trail 24 degrees / 4.0 inches

Gen 2
Rake / trail 24.5 degrees / 4.0 inches

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll chime in since I have all the Gen 2 related parts sitting in my garage after a failed attempt...

The damper bracket. FITS.

The top triple from a Gen 2 DOES NOT fit.

The placement of the forks of a Gen 2 in comparison to a Gen 1 are about 1/4" further forward in relation to the stem. The only way to get away with putting on a Gen 2 damper on a Gen 1 would be to use the bottom triple along with the top triple.

Here's my parts list + what I paid:

Damper + Tank bracket : $75 (used. bought off the forum)

Top Triple : $45 (used. Ebay)

Top Triple bracket for steering damper: $12 (off the forum)

I see lower triples on Ebay all the time for ~$50 - $80.

The only thing that has got me thinking is the change in geometry of the front suspension.

Here's some useful info:

Gen 1
Rake / trail 24 degrees / 4.0 inches

Gen 2
Rake / trail 24.5 degrees / 4.0 inches
Have you considered tapping the underside of the triple clamp (the gen 1) to bolt up the bracket that came off of the 06? 2 bolts should not be a factor in the integrity of the triple clamp.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Have you considered tapping the underside of the triple clamp (the gen 1) to bolt up the bracket that came off of the 06? 2 bolts should not be a factor in the integrity of the triple clamp.
Yes I have. Wont work. reason being is that the 06 triple is shaped differently than the Gen 1.

Its hard to explain but the Gen 1 triple is perfectly flat horizontally where as the Gen 2 has sort of a \___/ shape to it when looking at it horizontally. The angle isnt as extreme obviously but just to give you an idea.

With the Gen 1 being so flat, and the Gen 2 triple bracket having an odd shape that fits perfect under the Gen 2 triple, its almost impossible I even thought about having it TIG welded too but I think its just easier installing a lower triple. I dont think .5" difference in rake will make THAT big of a difference. I can always compensate somehow....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts