Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have a 2nd gen. I mixed half 100 octane with 91 octane and took a 17 mile mountain ride from Silicon Valley to Santa Cruz. In the middle of the ride, my cat housing cracked all the way around and separted near the exhause pipe connector. This happened once before where two of my header pipes cracked. Don't know if I was using race fuel when this happened. My bike does not run hot. My hypothesis is that the larger amount of unburned fuel from the racing fuel heated the shit out of the cat and exhaust system causing the failure. Anyone else heard of this hapenning?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Is it a leaded fuel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt it...it is actually sold at the pump so I am assuming that there is another octane boosting chemical in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doubt it...it is actually sold at the pump so I am assuming that there is another octane boosting chemical in it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
some gas stations here sell 110 and its leaded so i would check if you can. im pretty sure its probly leaded. another way to tell is look at your exhaust tip if its white/tanish color then its leaded.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Often times 100 octane isn't leaded, I just thought it was worth asking since leaded fuels don't tend to get along with catalytic converters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A excess of unburnt fuel can cause the converter to overheat. Are you running a richer map that dumps more fuel into the engine?

The lead chemically contaminates the surface of the catalyst beads and makes them stop catalyzing, but it won't cause it to heat up or clog up. In fact, if it stops catalyzing, the converter will run much cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts