Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble removing my stock exhaust. I couldnt get the swing arm heatshield off the bike cuz the screws got stripped. Is that any other way to get the pipe out. Its the bottom weird looking pipe. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are you talking about the cat and headers, becuase it looks to me that you have the other pipe out that might be alittle difficult without takin that heat sheild off.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I think a couple of 06-07 owners on the forum had this same problem with the 3 screws on the heatshield strippin out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep its the black shield with 3 bolts. That pic is just a pic of what I'm talkin bout. What did u guys do when this happens??

·
Registered
620 Posts
i personally didnt have that probelm. So just so i know whats goin on and not getting things mixed up. You have that one pipe stuck behind that heat sheild and you cant get the pipe out. Correct?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exhaust

correct. that y shape pipe is stuck between the bike where the swing are is. there is a black shield that comes out with 3 bolts but the screws are really soft, and strip easy. ill see if i can find a pic of it. you can see one screw in the pic. the one u can see is the one that is by the swing arm

·
Registered
620 Posts
yea, thats a fun job, lol. the only thing i can say to do because i dont have a 10 infront of me anymore is to gently lay the bike down in the grass and loosen the pipe from the cat and see about loosing the cat from the header. I wouldnt recommed removing the header unless your replaceing the header(such as putting a new full system on. Also from the looks of it you will be trying to pull it up from the top(when the bike is standing, but leave in layin on the ground). Dont think it will come out from the bottem. When i took mine off it twisted right out from the hole(when you remove that black heat sheild and rearset. Try that and let me know. i'll go see if i cant talk to someone for you.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
GOOD LUCK that things a bitch to get off the screws have Yellow lock tite on them I got one out stripped the other 2 then i broke one off in the swingarm with an ez-out so after that i still have one screw to go so me and the boys broke the plate off and removed the last screw w/visgrips.Luckily for me my man had another plate and screws for me for $20. Like I said Good Luck a 1 hour job was 4 because of that dam plate. :crackup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Use a centre punch and give a sharp tap in the centre of the screw to break the loctite. If the allen part is too chewed up to get a grip, then get a cold chisel, sharp, and strike it at 90 degrees to the screw, to get a depression to work with. Then, lean the chisel to about 45 degrees and tap the screw anti-clockwise using the top or bottom of initial cut to unscrew it, I found after about half a turn I was able to get a flat screwdriver into the cut and unscrew it manually. I tend to tap into meat of the swingarm, so as not to break off, or deform the metal tab.

Hope that makes sense, it's easier than it sounds. I had the same problem on my 2007 10 and this solved it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exhasut

Is it safe to lay the bike down with all the fluids in it? Do i need to drain anything? How long can you lay it down for? I think it will come out of the top if you give it more room by seperating the subframe and rear tire almost like your raising the bike. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Is it safe to lay the bike down with all the fluids in it? Do i need to drain anything? How long can you lay it down for? I think it will come out of the top if you give it more room by seperating the subframe and rear tire almost like your raising the bike. Thanks for all the help guys.
Its ok to lay it on the side(just do it carfully/not to drop it), it wont break anything. You see stunters beating the hell out of their bikes. You dont need to drain anything and you can lay it down for however long you need. When you stand it back up just let is set for awhile so all the fluids can drain back where they are supposed to be. You also have a tip sensor. So if your bike falls over it wont start immediatly anyways.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Same thing here. I stripped 2 of the 3. I also snaped 2 of the bolts holding the header to the cat.

I took my time and dremeled a grove out of the bolt to get a screw driver into the head. I then tapped the driver with a hammer while I tried to remove the bolt. Slow, but it worked.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Off topic, but do you want to sell your black heat shields?

you have to keep the heat shield on the bike no matter what exhaust you put on. it is past of the swing arm and keeps it from flexing. you cant run without it.

rob

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
you have to keep the heat shield on the bike no matter what exhaust you put on. it is past of the swing arm and keeps it from flexing. you cant run without it.

rob
I was talking about the black plastic shields over the stock exhaust. I want to replace the gray ones on my '06 model with black ones.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
exhaust

I finally got a chance to work on getting the y pipe this weekend. I didnt have a drill so i didnt drill out the screws. Here is what i did. I layed the bike down in my living room with a pillow. I removed the dog links and tried to push the back tire away from the subframe, but i coulndt becasue that damn plate was keeping it in place.

Then I decided to loosen the subframe and swing it upwards. That then gave me enough room to pull that y pipie out.

That damn heatshield swingarm :headshake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts