Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cruising around yesterday and ripped into the throttle in first gear around 40 mph when I heard the snap and no more go. I coasted into the closest parking lot and saw the chain dragging. I had a buddy bring my truck and finally got it home around 930pm, backed into the garage, grabbed the sockets and took the cover off. It ended up snapping and getting pulled back into the cover and it ended up on the inside of the sprocket halfway around. Its stuffed in there pretty damn tight and I didn't feel like getting too deep into it that late but did get on it and found that it wouldn't click into first. Second is good but got nothing when pushing down past neutral.

I've never dealt with this problem and couldn't find any info specific to my problem on other threads. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You should have no problem with a well maintained 525 (I think that's the stock 10r chain size), I had well over 15k on a 520 ERV3 chain installed on an R1.

Did you clean and lube it regularly? Was the rear wheel aligned properly? Are your sprockets worn at all or missing any teeth?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike 2 months ago so as far as maintenance goes, it was a visual inspection when I bought it because he didn't have any records. I lubed the chain when I got it and it didn't have any excess play, all teeth looked great on the rear and from what I got to see last night, even after this mess the front looked good too. I guess this will be my validation for changing the gearing a little bit.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're really lucky (if that can be said) that this chain didn't fling up and wreck some serious shit on the bike, or your leg.

I had a buddy that got his leg ripped pretty good from a chain break at speed (He doesn't wear shorts anymore when riding... fool).

If it was the stock chain, I find that most reputable aftermarket (DID, RK, etc.) chains have much higher tensile strength than the stock units. As for maintenance, this chain may have appeared maintained, but I may have been stretched and just re-adjusted to it's max tolerable limit.

Either way, gearing change sounds like a good plan now!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Know a guy that facked his Busa tranny when that happened. Lucky it never got your leg either! I've broke a couple & had to push, now i change them every 20k kms

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So I was cruising around yesterday and ripped into the throttle in first gear around 40 mph when I heard the snap and no more go. I coasted into the closest parking lot and saw the chain dragging. I had a buddy bring my truck and finally got it home around 930pm, backed into the garage, grabbed the sockets and took the cover off. It ended up snapping and getting pulled back into the cover and it ended up on the inside of the sprocket halfway around. Its stuffed in there pretty damn tight and I didn't feel like getting too deep into it that late but did get on it and found that it wouldn't click into first. Second is good but got nothing when pushing down past neutral.

I've never dealt with this problem and couldn't find any info specific to my problem on other threads. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?
There is nothing wrong with your Tranny. There is to much tension on the front sprocket. Losen up the chain and then try and shift the gears (all gears). Remember there is a tighten spec on your chain as well.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

C

·
Registered
10 Posts
A couple years ago, I had borrowed my friends VFR750 interceptor. I was accelerating pretty hard and at about 85 mph I hear a loud bang, the engine now revs like it's in neutral, and I smell oil. I shut it off, pull over and there is a fist size hole in the motor in front of the front sprocket, the chain is nowhere to be found except for the 3-4 pieces that are in the new hole. I get the bike back to my buddy's house. I tell him what happened and he said he had just cut the chain earlier that day grinding off the mushroomed rivets. He didn't have a master link so he put the chain back together and welded the side plate of the chain to the rivets with his wire feed welder. He thought that would be alright. It wasn't.

I'd say you were very lucky the same thing didn't happen to you. I'm sure a zx10 can swing a chain much faster than a VFR750.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Don't we need to clarify:dontknow:......I never in my life heard of a "Chain Snap" on a rivet chain....I believe the title should be it jumped sprocket...I may be wrong but this doesn't make sense...if you use a chain with a master link clip-on then it makes sense....OP give more details...did it BREAK Completely or come off the Sprocket. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have seen chains snap and bust the cases so count your self lucky.

I have seen chains that got wraped up lock up the sprocket and broken trasmission parts. it is never a good thing to throw a chain.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The master link let go on my old FJ11 and when the chain came around it grabbed the starter and ripped it out leaving a good sized hole in the engine. The bike had well over 100k on it so needless to say, that was it for the old FJ. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that master link was put in backwards.:headshake

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
this thread made me ride the 10 down to a bike shop to pick up some chain lube that i have neglecting to do for a good while now!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I just hit 16K on my chain and now you all got me paranoid. LOL I guess I will start shopping for sprockets and a chain. The service manual call for a 525 110 link. When I was shopping around, all I see are 120 or higher. Is the 120 a replacement for the 110 w/ stock gearing on a 3rd gen (17/41)?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just hit 16K on my chain and now you all got me paranoid. LOL I guess I will start shopping for sprockets and a chain. The service manual call for a 525 110 link. When I was shopping around, all I see are 120 or higher. Is the 120 a replacement for the 110 w/ stock gearing on a 3rd gen (17/41)?
No the 120 is what most sell because it covers most gearing and bikes...it will need to be cut down and Riveted.

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Thanks. Is it safe to assume if I buy OEM from the stealership it will be the 110?
I don't think you can buy OEM it will be like buying aftermarket you get the 120....like you can't buy OEM paint it comes from ColorRite in a can or your preference....I may be wrong but never heard of it only a Replacement with same or authorized/compatible or same Manufacturer.

bloo

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't think you can buy OEM it will be like buying aftermarket you get the 120....like you can't buy OEM paint it comes from ColorRite in a can or your preference....I may be wrong but never heard of it only a Replacement with same or authorized/compatible or same Manufacturer.

bloo
Thanks Bloo. I will quit prompting you for answers since your post count is catching up to my 10's mileage. :badteeth:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts