Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and not found what I was looking for so I hope you all can help me.I looked at the manual and read about the cam chain tensioner and how to install and remove. I also read the threads about how to put in a manual cam chain tensioner. I want to know how to make my stock tensioner tighten without taking it all the way apart? I read turn the crank clockwise twice,but how do I do that without taking it apart?Could I put it in gear and roll it backward or forward to accomplish this? :idea: The reason that I want to do this is because my cam chain has become louder and louder as if my tensioner is stuck or something. If that is all it is ,can I just take out the plunger bolt in it and see if the spring or something has given up the ghost? o Would that require me to turn it also. I'm not talking about the body just the spring .Also, I have been reading here for awhile and I am not new to motorcycles just the 10r.Any help would be greatly appreciated! Dean

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Clockwise is dependant on which side of the engine you use as a reference...
I would not think it would hurt to spin the engine back a few rounds by pushing backwards with it in gear (engine off of course)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Superbike1 said:
I have searched and not found what I was looking for so I hope you all can help me.I looked at the manual and read about the cam chain tensioner and how to install and remove. I also read the threads about how to put in a manual cam chain tensioner. I want to know how to make my stock tensioner tighten without taking it all the way apart? I read turn the crank clockwise twice,but how do I do that without taking it apart?Could I put it in gear and roll it backward or forward to accomplish this? :idea: The reason that I want to do this is because my cam chain has become louder and louder as if my tensioner is stuck or something. If that is all it is ,can I just take out the plunger bolt in it and see if the spring or something has given up the ghost? o Would that require me to turn it also. I'm not talking about the body just the spring .Also, I have been reading here for awhile and I am not new to motorcycles just the 10r.Any help would be greatly appreciated! Dean
Rolling it forward in gear should work. Probably need a higher gear to make it happen semi-easy.

What makes you think it's the CCT? Often the slipper clutch will make some noise, that sounds a lot like the CCT. Mine is in for warranty work right now on the alternator and the clutch, due to noises that I first thought were the CCT. It checked out fine on mine. Not saying you have the same prob, just sayin'.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can rev it in neutral and it sounds like the cam chain because it only happens at certain rpm 2000 to 3500 rpm and I hear it when I ride away from a stoplight.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Sounds like you just described the same noise I have. Thought it was the CCT, but Kawasaki first removed and reset the CCT, with no change. Now they have diagnosed it as spring slop in the back-torque-limiting portion of the clutch.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can rev it in neutral and it sounds like the cam chain because it only happens at certain rpm 2000 to 3500 rpm and I hear it when I ride away from a stoplight.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have turned the engine backward and it still sounds the same. I have located the noise it only happens when it is hot(or when the oil is hot) on the left side if you are sitting on the bike. It sounds like something loose or rattling kinda. Bike runs fine but I am afraid that won't last long. Am I just being paranoid as seeing how I came from suzuki and it never made that noise? Maybe that's all it is!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can adj the factory CCT manually. I have to do it on my 636 as the dealer has replaced it twice and kawasaki will not replace it anymore as they say it is normal. Here is how I do it...

I pull the bike apart and get to the CCT, mine is on the clucth side of the motor right below the throttle bodies.

Pull the bolt out in the center of the CCT, there should be a bolt, washer, spring, and pin in the center of the spring.

Take a small phillips screw driver and put it in the center of the CCT opening.

Turn the key on and roll the bike over several times, my bike wont fire as I have to remove the tank and I have no fuel, I dont know if the 10 will be in the same position or not.

I roll it over several times while at the same time putting pressure on the screwdriver and pushing in on it. It pushed the ratchet mechanism in and click it out a click or two and takes up some of the slack.

If you notice that litte spring is all the tension the CCT gets and is why they can not properly do its job of keeping the CCT adj to the right tension.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
If you are going to do the above procedure ... Be careful, don't push it too hard to try to force it to "click" if it doesn't want to. Don't push harder than, say, twice the force that the spring exerts. A chain that is a wee bit loose, even if it's making a little noise, will last a lot longer than one which is under too much tension. There has to be a little bit of "give" to account for thermal expansion, torsional vibration in the crankshaft and camshaft while the engine is running, etc.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Superbike, I have the same noise on my '04. It's made it since the 200mi. mark and now has 10k mi on it. I hate that noise with a passion, and it's most noticeable with the bike hot, on deceleration, like pulling up to a light in 1st gear. sounds fine when coming down from say 6k rpm through 3k rpm but once down to 2.5k to 1.5k it ticks like mad. To me it kind of sounds like a sloppy wrist pin or rod bearing(ticks like a Chevy 305 lifter does) but once at idle or back under power with a load the noise disappears. I still do not know what the noise is, however I don't think it's the cam chain as I have heard the cam chain get pretty noisy a few times just before the CCT clicked to the next adjustment stop and then she was quiet again, aside from the noise that you're talking about. Have you talked to your local shop about ti yet? When I first got the 10 last June, I took it to the 2 Kwak dealers here in town and they both tried to tell me that it was injector noise(I think because they knew nothing about the bike, being a brand new model) but I seriously doubt this is an injector. I would like to find out what it is though so maybe Kawi or I can correct it. Possibly a slightly loose intake or exhaust valve? Not sure, although I am tempted to go measure the valve clearance(s) just to satisfy my curiosity.

Let me know if you hear anything.
Gladding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts