Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 07 to its first (dry) track day last Sunday. With all the bar slapping coming onto the main straight I cant imagine riding one of these without a steering damper!
My question concerns the brakes though. After a few quick laps the front brake lever needing pulling in further and further, to the point that when I came into the pits I could pull it back to the bar. Its set on the furthest setting.
Im thinking I either need-
a) Braided lines
b) better pads
c) ZX14 calipers

Im not overly hard on the brakes at the track, so I was suprised at how weak they became, and i dont want my lap times hamstrung by a lack of brake pressure...

·
Registered
690 Posts
i am no expert and have never been to a track day, so this is all what i've read on this forum.

that being said, the brakes on the second gen 10's are straight up crap on the track. just what you said happens every time you take a 10 to the track.

all 3 is the answer. or go big and get the brembo setup. there may be something else with getting a new rezzy, but not 100%. do a search.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The 06,7 radial MC is a superior unit compared to the 04,5 traditional unit so you have that in your corner.
Your choices are to go the inexpensive route with ss-lines, a high quality fluid and better pads along with a good manual bleed of the entire system a few times starting with the MC then down to the calipers then ride it a couple hundered miles and bleed yet again. orrrrrrrrr

source 07 zx6r/14 calipers, lines and fluid and bleed as i stated above.

BD

·
Registered
60 Posts
Brakes

I have a first gen and upgraded the Master, put braided lines on, and upgraded to HH sintered pads which helped, but the next is definitely the calipers as they still suck under track conditions with stock calipers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 06,7 radial MC is a superior unit compared to the 04,5 traditional unit so you have that in your corner.
Your choices are to go the inexpensive route with ss-lines, a high quality fluid and better pads along with a good manual bleed of the entire system a few times starting with the MC then down to the calipers then ride it a couple hundered miles and bleed yet again. orrrrrrrrr

source 07 zx6r/14 calipers, lines and fluid and bleed as i stated above.

BD
Given my budget, SS lines and decent pads are sounding like a good option, I can deal with bleeding the lines if I have to, but I can see it getting annoying, maybe santa clause will bring me a new set of calipers...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
^^ hey source them from ebay thats what a few guys here have done for pretty inexpensive too.....$100-150 for both.

BD

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
^^ hey source them from ebay thats what a few guys here have done for pretty inexpensive too.....$100-150 for both.

BD
Bought a whole setup in mint condition for 200 with the entire right clip on, sold all the extras and it paid for itself. Be patient, look in ebay stores or check ZX6R and ZX14 specific forums.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Given my budget, SS lines and decent pads are sounding like a good option, I can deal with bleeding the lines if I have to, but I can see it getting annoying, maybe santa clause will bring me a new set of calipers...
Mate as you know i've got the same issues and i have HEL lines :)
Before saturdays trackday I'm gonna flush out the fluid and bleed the bastard.

Im still running the stock pads they're ok but im thinking about race pads.

Did chopper have the same problems ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mate as you know i've got the same issues and i have HEL lines :)
Before saturdays trackday I'm gonna flush out the fluid and bleed the bastard.

Im still running the stock pads they're ok but im thinking about race pads.

Did chopper have the same problems ?
Yeah I felt chops lever and it was the same as mine, he didnt complain about it as much as me though.
You can be the test mule for the race pads, if they work I will get them too.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
If your going to source them from the US perhaps our site sponsors could help by posting a thread in that section. :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
345 Posts
Took my 07 to its first (dry) track day last Sunday. With all the bar slapping coming onto the main straight I cant imagine riding one of these without a steering damper!
My question concerns the brakes though. After a few quick laps the front brake lever needing pulling in further and further, to the point that when I came into the pits I could pull it back to the bar. Its set on the furthest setting.
Im thinking I either need-
a) Braided lines
b) better pads
c) ZX14 calipers

Im not overly hard on the brakes at the track, so I was suprised at how weak they became, and i dont want my lap times hamstrung by a lack of brake pressure...
I suggest in this order: a) better pads
b) Braided lines
c) ZX14 calipers

I did my first track day in beginner class with 10R and lapped everyone twice in two separate sessions. Yes, the brake lever did go back close toward the grip but I also glazed the brake pads. That's why I suggest better pads first. Whatever quality HH pads you can find Down Under. Track tip I heard was don't grab a handful of brake all at once. Pull back 15 % braking to transfer weight smoothly to the front and then apply Max. braking as needed. I got a little head shake WOT wheely in first three gears but not braking before cornering. Suspension set-up
:dontknow:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Had the same issues with mine mate. Bought the Brembo 19x18 master cylinder + some lines......It feels better even at a standstill. You will also probably need another resevoir as the diameter for the tube is different. (I just put a hose clamp on and tightened the sucker.) Also the thread for the banjo bolt is different. Stand Japanese thread pitch is 1.25mm and the pitch for the Brembo's banjo is 1.0mm
Ordered my stuff through terrapowersports.com...it was on my doorstep within a week!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah I felt chops lever and it was the same as mine, he didnt complain about it as much as me though.
You can be the test mule for the race pads, if they work I will get them too.
:eek:ccasion1
:lol: yeah ok.

Im having the brakes looked at tomorrow so i'll let you know. A good bleed should be all i need for Saturday.

For a good set of HH pads you're looking at just under $200 for the complete set so :dontknow:

·
Registered
103 Posts
:lol: yeah ok.

Im having the brakes looked at tomorrow so i'll let you know. A good bleed should be all i need for Saturday.

For a good set of HH pads you're looking at just under $200 for the complete set so :dontknow:

try whites racing products, he runs the bridgestone tent at race meeting at EC, hes not allowed to operate at normal trackdays, because sportbike tyres has the contract.:sad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Whites Racing Products - 10% discount on Bridgestone tyres, gloves, helmets, knee sliders (plain, sparky & coloured), oils, chain lube, brake fluid, batteries, brake pads, and more... Call Craig on: 0413 461 353.

mention ksrc

get the carbon ceramic pads.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts