Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock Brakes and Tires-First Track Day...

I am going to my first track day down at Homestead Raceway. It is a sponsored event with a good deal of training, and has several groups to be adjusted by learning curve skill within the "Novice" training.

My big question is the stock brakes and tires with only 450 miles on them.

I can't even contemplate riding at more than 6-7 tenths of the bike's capabilities, so I'm just wondering if these items will hold up for the two full days of training and riding (I think it's about 3-4 track sessions per day).

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Sponsored by who? Not a penguin event is it?

You should be fine, it's probably changed a bit but basically the track is 2 big straight aways and two smaller ones separated by turns.
Not too hard on brakes and time for them to cool a bit between uses.

The stock brakes show weakness worst with lots of stopping like stop sign to stop sign, fine for bleeding speed- it's those last few yards when stopping on stock brakes that get iffy.

EDIT- just realized you probably have an 06 so your brakes should really be fine- I was talking about a stock 05.
Just feel the tires out gradually.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Oh boy, here come all the posts about how the oem tires are the biggest pieces of junk ever put on a bike and will cause you to crash regardless of skill level. :headshake

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess we'll see on how they hold up...I'll report back and maybe post some pics. I mean the bike is new and we'll see if I run out of one or the other. It will be a good forum test thought for a newb with a new bike on what works, what doesn't. I guess I just wanted to keep my eyes open for potential weak links...:wink:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
phastone said:
Oh boy, here come all the posts about how the oem tires are the biggest pieces of junk ever put on a bike and will cause you to crash regardless of skill level. :headshake
Well they arent the greatest that is for sure and I would never ride them on the track but for a newby ridin carefully I guess they would be ok for a bit.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
Well they arent the greatest that is for sure and I would never ride them on the track but for a newby ridin carefully I guess they would be ok for a bit.:dontknow:
I agree 100%, JJ. There are better tires out there, especially for the track.

But on the other hand, today's oem tires and bikes are capable of faster lap times that 90% of people can run. Part of being a good(fast) rider is being able to feel what your tires are doing. Top level riders could go faster than the tires are capable of but they don't crash(most of the time, anyway) because they have excellent throttle and bike control and can feel how quick their tires will allow them to go. That's why I think it's funny when people blame a crash on everything from tires to how their underwear were riding up instead of accepting the fact that like the majority of crashes, especially among us mortals, it was rider error that put them on the ground.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I think your brakes are definitely good. I have an 04 with 7000 miles on it and had no problems at the track. Granted they aren't a 2000 dollar set of racing brakes but they will do you just fine. I ran the novice class twice and was the fastest out there besides the instructors yet had no problems.

As far as tires go, the stock ones will do fine. Be sure to only put around 32 lbs in both front and rear so long as the temp is at least in the 80's outside. They get really hot which boots the psi up to around 42 when you roll off the track. Just be easy as you are taking turns and going further on the tires as to make sure they are worn from nearly edge to edge. I ran the new Metzler M3's and loved them. Same set both times on the track and you would never know it. They hold up really well and stick really well also.

I would also suggest to you for your bike setup to stiffen the hell out of the suspension. I weight 205 and torqued the front almost all the way out. You will need to turn your springs to do so. It doesn't take long to do and makes a world of difference. I didn't mess with the rear suspension although it wouldn't hurt, but the front helped out more than anything when braking hard into a turn. ***Be sure to use a baggy or wax paper over the spring nut so you don't scratch it all up. I used a baggy and a socket so I didn't have to remove it and you can't even tell I touched them.***

My main advice as a track day newbie myself is to take your time, focus well ahead of you, and be very smooth with everything you do whether it be sliding off your seat, grabbing the brakes, rolling on the throttle, and leaning the bike through the turns. Another thing that made night and day difference and keeps you from having to use every single bit of the tire (which is losing more and more surface contact) is to get your butt off the seat. You should start getting tired in the legs as the day progresses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I ain't no little thing either, and will probably check in 250 pounds "wet" with all my gear. I am going to get the suspension tweaked at Blais cycle prior to help clean it up. Thanks for the advice :cool:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Stock tyres are not that bad when you are not running at 100%. I was running at about 85% at the Cali Superbike School on stock tyre and brakes and the bike was great.

If I was you I would reduce your tyre pressures for the track.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nothing wrong with Qualifiers on the track. I run advanced with STT, rarely get passed and I love the Q's - good feel and real predictable slides (IOW very gradual slipping as opposed to sudden snap slipping).

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I raced a time or two w/ teh stock set up w/ 9K miles on them.

Do I recommend that> NO. but you can do it, you gotta be brakin REALLY hard to out brake the brakes...and as a newb, i can assure you you wont be! :ayyy:

oh yeah, dont forget to bleed the brakes!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think someone mentioned that it would be good to bleed the brakes... does anyone want to comment on this :dontknow:

:mrgreen: :beer:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Big Daddy said:
i'm headed to the garage to bleed me brakes anybody wanna take pics? :wink:

BD
well if you dont know how to bleed the brakes, you can always do the ziptie on the brake lever on the way to the track to help get some of the air out! :ayyy:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I haven't ready anything in this thread except the first post so bleed the brakes. The stock tires are fine for novice track day riding. Have fun.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Stalker said:
I think someone mentioned that it would be good to bleed the brakes... does anyone want to comment on this :dontknow:

:mrgreen: :beer:
Yeah yah might wanna think about bleedin the brakes....:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts