Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
You can still lean over more? What kind of replies are you looking for?
I'm confused :dontknow:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I see, well, I guess it matters what pressure you've been running and how hard you've been riding on it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
looks a little blistered,soft gp compound-if so then they won't last as long as DOT.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, that's odd for 2200. I ran the BT16 on my GSXR when she was a street bike and I'd get around 3500 to 4000 on a set, but I was replacing the front with the rear. There was usually still some life left on the front, like another 1k or so.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the "twisties" your riding are sure to play a big part as well... how well the road is made where you are riding... crapper roads are sure to "chew" on the tyre alot more in the hard corners

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
To me it looks like your pressures are too low. My front had the same pattern on the old tire, but I changed the tire and raised the pressure and it didnt come back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
front on my '08 is doing the same thing; right at 3k miles and i'm eating in to the wear bars. the rear looks like i could get another 1k out of it easy. I keep it as close to recommended pressures as I can.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the rake or something? I feel like the front end on this bike is a lot lower than previous bikes...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run Diablo Corsa III's and usually get around 4,200 miles on the back. The front get changed every other back tire change. With that said, I've seen that kind of wear before and it usually comes from improper suspension setup or wrong tire pressure. I've seen it happen more due to suspension than tire pressure though.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Looks like you ride the shit out of that thing! But seriously I would look into tire pressure and susp. setup like others have said.

·
Registered
669 Posts
:cool:

Suspension has been set up. Got another set of 16's to get through. Will see if they react the same.
This kind of wear is due to front end being a littlebit to soft.

when you initiate turn, the front of the bike dives and all the load goes to the front tire...

try to set your front suspension a little bit harder ou soften your rear. That way the bike will stay more level into the turn and your tires will wear properly

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much... that very soft shoulder compound on the front seems to be VERY soft. I've NEVER had a set/brand of tires whereby I'd go through 2 fronts to every rear. EVERY other time it's been 2 rears to every front. I keep a very accurate maintenance log for work done on my 10 (in the back of my owners manual); mileage for first front BT-016: 2548 miles; mileage for second: 2675; mileage for rear: 5223. And, it looked as though the rear could have been used another 1K more or so... center wearing more than the shoulders due to freeway runs en route to the twisties...

I'm now onto a set of BT-003RS's, and both seem to be wearing evenly... probably a testament to how soft the rear tire is. Front tire wear seems even across the entire tread up front, with the sides/shoulders wearing only slightly more noticeably than the center area.

I say, up the pressure on the front more than you were running previously, and compare the difference. Keep us posted! I'm thinking about going back to BT-016's after these 003RS's...

·
Registered
641 Posts
to the OP, are you coming into the corners too fast, chopping the throttle, and shaving off speed past the apex by coasting in gear off throttle? Try to keep the bike neutral entering the corner doing all your braking while straight. Then be neutral and accelerating at the apex and beyond.

to recap, just looks like you're overworking the front tire loading the front suspension. Improving your techniche in the corners should help tires wear a bit better.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Stock set of BT016 on my machine has 5,000 miles and looks like the front could go another 2,000 easy. That is a very strange wear pattern.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts