Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a problem with sticking clutch. The motorcycle stood for 3 years without firing, I changed new oil, fuel, liquids. The engine works very well but I have a problem with the clutch. My clutch is not working , when I have 1 gear and the clutch pressed in, the motorcycle goes forward when I push the starter button. The clutch cable is fine, there are no weird noises. How can I fix it?

zx10r 2012r

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
How do you know the clutch cable is fine? What is the freeplay setting on it? What lever are you using? Why are you hitting the starter with it in gear? Does it operate normally when starting in neutral and going into 1st gear?

You need to take the clutch pack out and most likely replace all the fiber plates in it. They are probably dried out, gummed up, swollen, and not separating correctly which is causing them to drag. You can try taking them all out, soaking them in oil overnight to try to refresh them, and then reinstall everything. If they are swelled up and don't meet the thickness specs, that won't do much and you'll need new fiber plates. You need to take the clutch apart at this point.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
First, stand on right side of bike and look down where the clutch cable enters at the top...above right rearset. Pull clutch and see if that arm moves. Engine off. If it does not move then cable broke. It should move. If it does, it may not be moving enough, so spray a little wd 40 on top of that arm and pull clutch a few times; do that cause you're there. Back up at the clutch arm, make sure it has play in the arm before you feel pressure. If not, then use adjuster ring to bring in the cable closer to clutch. If no play (wiggle prior to feeling pressure) in the clutch, then that's the problem.

Once you get play in the clutch arm, ALWAYS start the bike in neutral. Hard for me to wrap my brain around starting this bike in gear. Fucking stupid. Remember that. Also I'm asking how the battery's still powered. Well, continue: Start and let the engine warm and settle. Pull front brake and then NO Throttle, pull clutch and place into first gear.

If not your bike and you never been on a 600 or liter, then do NOT ride this bike as it demands at least mediocre skills. Let me know how it goes and do everything slowly and don't have pets or people around. Just trying to keep everything safe here. But I'm assuming this is your bike and that you couldn't ride.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is because the clutch plates have stuck together.
My r1 does this from lack of use.
Pull clutch lever in and cable tie it.
Run the bike till its hot.
Turn engine off then try moving the bike in 1st gear without the engine running.
Once youve broken the grip of the plates you may need to cable tie the clutch lever after riding it to ensure it doesnt do it again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts