Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, having removed forks for seal replacement (Thanks All for advice with that BTW) I just realized my steering is notchy.

So to those who have had to deal with this on a GEN 4, Are OEM the way to go, as with fork seals?

Also, anybody make good tools for this job? (Motion Pro, Etc.,...?)

(Yes, I did search!)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Roller bearings for sure.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Many owners will change to tapered bearings because they "crash" better. One thing to remember is tapered bearings need to be set. So you basically over torque the triple clamps then reset them to the required torque.

On a side note last year I did a little survey and all the teams I talked to (except one) used OEM ball bearings. This included Yosh Suzuki, Latus, ADR, Hayden Gillim, Kyle & Travis Wyman, and others. The argument was riders got much better feel from ball and it was easier to install since you only used one torque setting. And contrary to popular belief, they aren't replacing bearings after every race.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many owners will change to tapered bearings because they "crash" better. One thing to remember is tapered bearings need to be set. So you basically over torque the triple clamps then reset them to the required torque.

On a side note last year I did a little survey and all the teams I talked to (except one) used OEM ball bearings. This included Yosh Suzuki, Latus, ADR, Hayden Gillim, Kyle & Travis Wyman, and others. The argument was riders got much better feel from ball and it was easier to install since you only used one torque setting. And contrary to popular belief, they aren't replacing bearings after every race.
Now THAT's some real interesting information, Thanks for posting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts