Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i'm at a complete stop, I notice that if I try to turn my wheel all the way left or right, it's reallllllly stiff and hard to turn. As soon as I get moving even a little bit, it becomes way easier to move. I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be on the 10R but I know my 636 isn't like that. The only thing I can guess is that the tires I have on the 10R are the Pirelli Supercorsa SP's and because they're really sticky they could cause this? It's a 2004 btw.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
When i'm at a complete stop, I notice that if I try to turn my wheel all the way left or right, it's reallllllly stiff and hard to turn. As soon as I get moving even a little bit, it becomes way easier to move. I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be on the 10R but I know my 636 isn't like that. The only thing I can guess is that the tires I have on the 10R are the Pirelli Supercorsa SP's and because they're really sticky they could cause this? It's a 2004 btw.

Tires and no power steering, thing has to roll to turn. So you answered you own question

·
Registered
16 Posts
NightShark, in my opinion different tyres may play a small part, but I'd have closer look at tyre pressures or if there is excessive restriction in you headset. Other than that you could try and find out what weight distribution is over the front end, bigger motor alone would definately make some difference.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I don't believe this would be caused by tire differences. I would check also for maybe cable routing to make sure you don't have anything hindering the steering at full turn. Regardless the bike will always be easier to "steer" when you're moving...even if it's just a few mph.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so wait, the 10R has no power steering? does the 636 have power steering? if this is the case then that would most likely be the cause.

I don't think it has anything to do with cable routing because im not having problems at full tilt, i'm having problems moving it from dead center to either direction.

The thing i find confusing is that on the 10R its realllly stiff almost impossible to turn the bars either direction at a dead stop unless i start to roll the bike a bit i'll get easier but when i'm going slow speeds lets say under 10mph NOT counter steering but just normal steering, the bars feel really loose and will go side to side no problem. on the 636 i can move the bars freely side to side at a dead stop without a problem and when im going at slow speeds not counter steering its still just as easy but not as loose as the 10R.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Park the bike with the front tire on something slippery (piece of plastic sheet resting on concrete or something of that sort) and/or pump up the front tire pressure, so that the tire is not interfering with what you are feeling, and then try it again; this will rule out whether the tire has anything to do with this.

No production bike has power steering - that's not the issue.

Don't go by how the bike feels out on the road. When you are riding at speed, there is insignificant movement of the steering. You are never turning the bars to full lock when moving at any speed at all, unless you are riding it tail-out on a dirt track or some other such silly thing that this bike was never meant to do. Still, binding steering can be a safety issue, so investigate it and get it fixed if something is wrong.

Possibilities:
- Tire. Rule it out by doing the test mentioned above.
- Cable routing. If someone has clipped the portion of the wiring harness that leads to the switchgear in the wrong place, it could be pulling against the action of the handlebars. The most common offender is the harness to the left side of the steering head. Should be visible - you can see the clip in question when sitting on the bike. Solution; reposition the harness in the clip, or open up the clip so that it is not gripping the harness tightly (it's easy).
- Steering damper. Do you have one? The 2004 (which I also have) didn't come with one, but one may have been added. Is it turned up too stiff?
- Steering head bearings adjusted too tightly. If you bought the bike used, its history might not be known. If someone has smashed up the steering head bearings by doing wheelies or whatever, they may have taken up the slack by tightening the bearing preload nut, but the bearings won't be smashed up (and therefore will be too tight) away from dead-center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts