Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, that when im turning left or right the bike feels unstable, it almost feels like it's fighting me to turn, not a confident feeling could it be the damper and if so what is the average setting as I am not familiar with damping adjustments(1st bike w/damper)

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have a second gen, it's probably not the damper. Even at max, the OEM Ohlins damper doesn't do much. I have had two second gen bikes that had handling problems, and on both of them, the stock Dunlops were the issue. Both bikes, regardless of tire pressure or suspension settings, would simply NOT turn worth a shit without a ton of input on the bars. I have ridden many tens of thousands of miles on sportbikes of all makes and models, and those tires were the worst OEM rubber I've ever ridden on.

I would start with the tire pressure, and make sure it's at least 36psi f/r, I usually run 36f, 37r. If that doesn't help, make sure your suspension settings aren't totally out of whack by returning them to the stock settings for the time being.

I replaced the stock Dunlops with Pilot Power 2CT buns, and the bike was absolutely transformed. Handling, turning, stability, braking, etc were all improved immediately. Some poeple like the OEM Dunlops, but they are garbage compared to the Michelin 2CT or Pirelli DC3 in my experience.

Keep in mind I had the same issue on TWO 2007 ZX-10s, both of them with OEM Dunlop tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the setting im using is what sportrider recommends,tire pressure is 36r and 34f,I also have an rc51 and have owned a zx7r and those bikes I would go into a turn with so much confidence but this bike Im a little skeptical when I go into a turn I just don't feel comfortable. I feel like I can't hold a line for long and flickability isn't that smooth like the bike is fighting me.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Give us more info! We cant analyzle without detail... Tire make model and sizes.. Has the bike been lowered in the front or rear or both??? I havent perfected esp yet.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Condition of tires??

Check your suspensinon settings make sure everything is equal (L/R)
Below is OEM settings for a 180lb rider..

Front.
Spring preload 11mm (0.4in.) From top adjuster
Rebound damping force-- 3 Clicks out from the full seated postion
Compression Force --- 4 clicks out from the fully seated position

Rear.
Rebound--- 1 1/4 turns out form fully seated position
Compression--- 2 turns out from fully seated position

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tires seem to be good, even wear. don't think they need to be changed yet unless this is the problem like volksdragon stated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i am interested in answers on this one .. im not runnin the dunlops and have played with the settings and made it worse then made it some better but cant get it to feel like it wants to turn correct compared to many other bikes i have been on

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a problem, that when im turning left or right the bike feels unstable, it almost feels like it's fighting me to turn, not a confident feeling could it be the damper and if so what is the average setting as I am not familiar with damping adjustments(1st bike w/damper)
Have you set your sag numbers?:thumbsup: Do not set your bike up to a magazine, you have to adjust the sag to your weight. #1 thing to get your base for developing your setup. Check the dynamic sag by

Place a piece of tape on the tail and one on the axle nut around the center.
extend the tail so the rear wheel comes off the ground and measure in MM.
Mark this measurment as L1

Then sit on your bike w/ your gear and then have one buddy hold you steady while another(3 people make this job easy) compresses the shock slowly.
Take the same measurment againa dn mark it as L2

Then still on the bike have your buddy lift the tail so you extend the shock slowly
Mark this measurment L3

Then a little math

L1-(L2+L3/2)

subtract the average of the last two measurments and it will give you your sag.
The process is the same for the front just measure from the base of the shock to the seal

Depending on what riding you do should determine how tight you run it, but a good start for the street would be 35mm rear 40mm front.
Make sure your front is looser then your rear.

If you cant attain decent numbers you will have to change the rear spring depending on how much you weigh.

the 06 -07 handles excellent, just takes time and tinkering but the short wheelbase is great for turn in.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Tires seem to be good, even wear. don't think they need to be changed yet unless this is the problem like volksdragon stated.
Take his word, and mine, when we say the stock ones suck, even the mags complained about them, not that that's saying a whole lot. I put DCIII's on and it definately helped the line holding, the bike didn't want to fight against you mid turn anymore. I can't comment on the turn in or transition as I tore off the stock wheelbarrow handles at nearly the same time but I'm sure it would have been noticeable as well. Tires really depend on your riding style, but some Michelin or Bridgestone tires will really transform the bike's handling, the DCIII's have too much of a neutral feeling for me anymore, although they are a GREAT tire too. Ditto on the other responses too, suspension set up is key, but I'm sure your problem is the tires.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
"Unstable" and 'fighting you to turn' sounds like 2 different things. Does it fall in faster than what you're used to and did you just get this bike or have you had it awhile and recently adjusted the suspension?

And I agree with anyone that says the dunflops suck.

·
Registered
781 Posts
"Unstable" and 'fighting you to turn' sounds like 2 different things. Does it fall in faster than what you're used to and did you just get this bike or have you had it awhile and recently adjusted the suspension?

And I agree with anyone that says the dunflops suck.
:+1: Didnt pay attention to the two different complaints. "Fighting to turn in" usually comes from the front being too tight and or the rear being too loose. Unstable... well thats on you :hick:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take his word, and mine, when we say the stock ones suck, even the mags complained about them, not that that's saying a whole lot. I put DCIII's on and it definately helped the line holding, the bike didn't want to fight against you mid turn anymore. I can't comment on the turn in or transition as I tore off the stock wheelbarrow handles at nearly the same time but I'm sure it would have been noticeable as well. Tires really depend on your riding style, but some Michelin or Bridgestone tires will really transform the bike's handling, the DCIII's have too much of a neutral feeling for me anymore, although they are a GREAT tire too. Ditto on the other responses too, suspension set up is key, but I'm sure your problem is the tires.
Usually when you change the tires you adapt your suspension to the tire setup.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Lots of missing info from the OP..

Is it hard to turn? (left/right)
Would it hold a straight line if you let go of the bars?
When did this start to happen (recently? when you first got it? when did something to it? )
What else is done to the bike that might affect it ?
Have you checked if your forks are crooked (doesnt have to be bent, just crooked *hard to explain* hehehe) ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lots of variables to be evaluated here for sure, but I'm betting on thre tires being the culprit. Check everything else for sure, but those Dunlops made the bike handle so poorly I wanted to sell my bike. I'm glad I didn't, of course...new rubber made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Lots of variables to be evaluated here for sure, but I'm betting on thre tires being the culprit. Check everything else for sure, but those Dunlops made the bike handle so poorly I wanted to sell my bike. I'm glad I didn't, of course...new rubber made all the difference in the world.
Not to take the validity of your statement but i rode on the stockers for a good 30-40 laps for 2 days no problem:dontknow:

·
Registered
781 Posts
i enjoyed my stockers till they wouldn't grip any more. I think it would have been nice if kawi would have done what yamaha does with their R1's and given us an option for a dc3 or pp2ct when the bike was purchsed. My zx-6r came with bt0016's which were excellent. I feel the 16's should have been the stock tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I mean when I say turning left or right Is ridding on a normal street and making a turn onto another street the bike feels unstable i feel like a new ridder learning how to ride having to correct myself because I feel the bike may tip over, and on the highway theres one particular exit that leads to another highway that has a sharp left handed curve and I've always taken this turn hard with both my rc51 and my zx7r and I felt confident but with the zx10r I could feel myself driffting and having to correct myself mid turn where I never had to do this before. On all my bikes you couldn't see the wear marks on the edge of the tires when ever I would take this turn, with the zx10 theres about a 1/4 wear mark to the edge left due to this problem Im having. It's not that I am a reckless rider that needs to be scrapping pegs but I do love to lean, I don't care so much for top speed. It's an awkward feeling sometimes hard to explain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts