Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the only person who has had this issue...if I gas it hard when the front starts to pull up(off the ground) I get the old 'clunk'.
I realize that this is loose steering head bearings...so how have you all been tightening them? I obvisouly am not going to pay $80 for a special tool to get it to within torque spec, but is there a ghetto fabulous way to get it close? I've heard some people just hand tightening it one more revolution tighter...there is no science in that! Wifey is baking tonight so I'm free to tackle this...3 bolts shouldn't be an issue! GULP

·
Registered
536 Posts
I usually just go by feel. Suspend the front of the bike so that the bars turn freely. I use an overhead winch and a strap under the gas tank, with the rear of the bike on a stand. Tighten only until you get a slight resistance such that the bars won't fall to the stops from center.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are my heros...now I've learned more and can apply it real life...I only wish work was the same way

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Mav- I've always used a punch to break the rings free, then used an adjustable spanner made for bicycles. It's made by Park Tool and may be available in steel. Mine is aluminum, hence the need for the punch to break them free.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is only tightened to 12ft lbs or 24.5 if using a wrench in the handle of the OEM tool.
I have an adjustable spanner for my shock, but there is no hole for me to insert my torque wrench...its steel so no dremeling a square hole.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm done...getting the bolts that hold the clip-ons to the top clamp is a PITA.
The bottom but was tight, but it moved 1/8 turn...the top nut was just hand tight, so I turned it 2x past hand tight. Feels a nice and smooth.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Big Daddy said:
looks like i'll be buyin a tool to ship around the country for pity sakes! :wink:

BD
Well, I wish you would hurry up and get the tool so I can borrow it. If memory serves me correctly, the steering stem nuts are aluminum, so be careful with the punch. I have a pair of channel locks that fit into the steering stem nuts notches pretty well and I used my extremely refined sense of feel to torque them to the precise torque setting. I just need to get the tool to confirm the settings on my bionic torque wrench.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did put a square hole in one of my spanners and the extra distance is basically negligible.

If you want to find out the exact torque, I am sure it wouldn't be hard to just look on the internet. I know it is something like torque = torque applied X length + length + extension / length or something like that, can't remember off the top of my head to be exact.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
BNninja said:
You guys are my heros...now I've learned more and can apply it real life...I only wish work was the same way
So do you have some way of suspending the front end? If not how did you do it?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did my reply go?
Pitbull front stand did the job, did the torque by guessing. Put the bike back together, put bike down from stand, checked for binding, there is none, checked for slop there is none...A+ job well done IMO.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I think mine is loose. Got some wierd headshake a few times during today's ride. I guess I need another damned tool. I thought I had some shid until I started wrenchin' on bikes. I have to buy a new tool for everything I do to 'em. I could do more mods if I didn't have to buy tools, too!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
If the headshake just occurred today, it could be due to the added acceration the -1cs gave you. The -1cs aso cause increase engine breaking so your chasis is moving around more than you were used to.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts