Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
i like my scotts, adjustability on the fly but you can't go wrong with any of those. Personally I would stick with Scotts or Ohlins but that's just my preference

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Got the Ohlins with the Attack mounts which put it about even with the bottom tripple. If you go this route you will have to relocate the horn. Saved my ass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Öhlins works well, WP also have good dampers and nice looking mounting sets. I have a Matris M2 damper on mine, it was one of the first steering dampers available with mounting kits for the 10 at spring 2004. It works well, but you have to drill 2 small holes in the stem head for locking it in right position...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Same here, Scotts is the only choice for me (however Scotts and Ohlins has merged so there are Scotts rotary dampers out there with Ohlins name on them, but either way, the rotary damper with the scotts valves, is the only one I'll put my life and limb trust in), and the fact that they aren't felt when you don't need them and they do the job when you do need them.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I bought a GPR. It had very high marks from other riders on the forum and I'd heard it was easy to install (it was).

I also liked how it was easy to adjust on the fly, with gloves (large dial).

**But, with my daily commuting, I really don't care to much for the effects of having a damper (bike feels heavy even on the lowest setting).

BNinja had both the GPR and then Ohlins, and said ultimately he saw no advantage in having one over the other.

http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ZedX10R.html

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a scotts, its the bomb, but all you are looking at will do the trick, I guess its a matter of what you like. I look up dampers on the net, I gad to read alot of shit and then got the scotts.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have the GPR that BN used to have. And I have it set on 1 for daily commuting. I cant feel it at all. Turn it up to 3 or 4 for my track days. In all honesty you shouldnt need a damper for daily riding. IF your damper is so cranked up during daily riding that you feel it. Something else is wrong with your bike.

circusnuts said:
I bought a GPR. It had very high marks from other riders on the forum and I'd heard it was easy to install (it was).

I also liked how it was easy to adjust on the fly, with gloves (large dial).

**But, with my daily commuting, I really don't care to much for the effects of having a damper (bike feels heavy even on the lowest setting).

BNinja had both the GPR and then Ohlins, and said ultimately he saw no advantage in having one over the other.

http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ZedX10R.html

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have to cut your key or modify anything else with the scotts? i heard you did with one of the rotary ones...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Depends, if you mount it with the fat part of the damper forward, yes, A belt sander will remove the key material. Or you can mount the damper, with the thin side forward, and there is no clearance issue that way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just put on a Scott's a couple weeks ago, and it is the easily the best mod I've done to any bike I've owned. However I've never tried any other dampers as everyone I know has Scotts dampers on thier bikes-says alot about them in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Stud_wit_style said:
do you have to cut your key or modify anything else with the scotts? i heard you did with one of the rotary ones...
2 things
1 yes tou have to cut the key or flip the dampner. either are easy and dont let that run you off. Really its no biggy.
2 FOR ALL WHO GOT A GPR!!! Hey lets admit it. The GPR is no Scotts however Im glad to see your getting a dampner anyway You know you need one! So Screw it if a GPR is all you can afford go for it! It's better than nothing!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
sczx10r said:
2 things
1 yes tou have to cut the key or flip the dampner. either are easy and dont let that run you off. Really its no biggy.
2 FOR ALL WHO GOT A GPR!!! Hey lets admit it. The GPR is no Scotts however Im glad to see your getting a dampner anyway You know you need one! So Screw it if a GPR is all you can afford go for it! It's better than nothing!
1st you can flip the mount upside down so you dont have to cut your key.

2. SC, I bet I put my GPR through more work than you'll ever put your SCOTTS through. So dont go knockin the GPRs. They'll get the job done just fine!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
sczx10r said:
2 things
SC you even started a thread about it upside down...:dontknow:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12779&highlight=scotts

http://zx-10r.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=460&c=9

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Well i did some reasearch to find the gpr's are good but there not as easy to adjust on the fly. With the scotts i just take my left hand pointer finger and bump it and im rigid. the dial on the gpr looks like it would take a second or two. and me being me I always gun it and then go "oh shit" and have to bump it up. the gpr looks like the dial would take the oh shit moment and add a second or two... That being said I dont care what they get as long as they get one! I want my insurance to go down lol. If i talk a couple of members into getting SOME kind of dampner then GREAT! my insurance goes down. But It chaps my ass to see all these "got a new $1200 pipe and dont need no stinkin $400 dampner!" Threads. I dont care if they get an adjustable rubber ban but get something! I also would say if you got $325 now and want to wait to get $420 to get the scotts. go ahead and get the GPR because waiting is going to bite you in the ass. OR dont ride till you get the scotts. 1 of the 2. But yea hill Im sure the GPR is nice. but IMO I dont think its a scotts. I've read to many threads about leaking dampners, and people swearing by the scotts and you know I will too. A scotts will be on every bike i own from now on....

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
You know me...I hate to go off topic...

but if you continue to have "oops" moments...you really need to consider looking at your suspension...

A bike shouln't do it that often.

I push my bike harder each time Im on it, and Ill tell you the cases that have given me tank slappers, after my suspension was sorted out.

Once I was on the gas hard and the rear end slid out about 4 feet...I tried to save the low side and almost hisided, sending me bucking off the seat and landing on the nose of the bike. Ive got marks on the windscreen from my helmet and marks on the frame from my boots.

The bike was shaking so crazy that Ididnt' know which way was up, that and when it happend I was doing about 120. My damper (GPR) slowly calmed the slapper and I finished the race.

thats the only time ive had it, and that would have happened to any bike in that situation...

Now, I dont know how another damper would have worked, or wouldn't have and Im not gonna say that GPR is the best damper out, but as you said, will definatly get the job done.

On you your suspension...

I aint no suspension expert AT ALL. But if youre having shaking problems upon acceleration, I would suggest that you try to add some rebound to your forks.

In other words, I think that your front tire isn't extending fast enough, and giving you shakes. When I was having those problems when I added some rebound it helped tremendously.

But as always with suspension, dont adjust more than one thing at a time and always keep a record of where you were, so you can go back, if the adjustment wasn't acceptable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts